Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Forgot to add Acid while canning tomato

Posted by jmwolff (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 5, 09 at 15:46

I just processed my first 4 jars of tomatoes and I realized I forgot to add citric acid or lemon juice. :(

I have pure tomatoes in there (all Paulina Plum/Romas) I peeled them, and then crushed them while cooking, then added a little salt and hit it with the boat motor...then I cooked it down until it was the right consitency...then processed in a water bath. (40 minutes for 1 quart jars).

Now what? Do I have to do the whole thing over?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Forgot to add Acid while canning tomato

Less than 24 hours right? If so, open the jars and add the citric acid to them then re-process for 45 mins.

Dave

o

yes...only about 15 minutes after lol

o

The really good news is it's only 4 jars rather than 3 or 4 batches.

Carol

o

oh Carol...it feels like a million to me LOL...holy mackeral that was a lot of work for 4 jars LOL. I am sure it gets easier with time. 2 were saved tonight, I will fix the other two in the morning with the rest of the tomoatos.

o

Yeah it does get easier with practice. But I find that purple or orange post-it notes that say things like "ADD CITRIC ACID" still come in handy. ;)

Dave

o

Well, I only did slightly better. I only made 5 quarts and let my mind wander while I worked, so for two of them when I went to put the covers on I had forgotten if I had put the citric acid in or not. I added some at the end. I may end up with two jars that are fine or two with double the amt of citric acid. Oh well, if they taste sour, I will know why, but at least they are safe. :)

Sue

o

I always add the citric and salt at the time of filling each jar. They all get the same measured amount and its easily seen in the empty glass jars before they get filled.

o

I know all about losing focus and forgetting. I also add citric acid before filling jars with product and then do a visual check. It's really easy to "space out" in the pressure of canning.

Carol

o

I was doing a hot pack into hot jars and the instructions said to remove the jar from the boiling water, add citric acid, then tomatoes, cover and return to water before removing the next jar. Although I had thought of removing and adding the acid to the jars all at the beginning, I thought instructions said to do it the other way was so the jars would not cool off. Now I think it probably wouldn't have mattered and would have been easier to keep track of.

Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here