Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ahbee01

Roasted garlic and tomato soup addition?

ahbee01
14 years ago

I love the soup! It is delish! I want to make more, and was wondering about adding a few roasted red peppers to the recipe. If so how many would you add?

I will be freezing this so not worried about canning it safely, unless there is a recipe out there for it. I tried searching to no avail, and want to make this before all my maters go bad! If not I will just make it without the peppers.

I made the roasted red pepper spread, and it is good on a grilled cheese sandwich along side this soup!

I have seen roasted red pepper and tomato soup, but all the recipes call for jarred peppers, I want to make fresh!

I don't want to waste the food trying to experiment on my own, not that good of a cook! Thanks I love this site and all of you are so helpful!

Brenda

Comments (7)

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

Sure as long as you are going to freeze it there is no safety issue. Can't be canned without additional acid for the "few" but freezing isn't a problem.

Dave

• ahbee01
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I was wondering about the taste? I never had the roasted pepper and tomato soup!

• simplicitygardens
    14 years ago

Annie,

I was wondering if you'd share the recipe for the Vanilla-Fig preserves you mentioned on the 'What you've put up in '09 II' list? Sounds tasty for those cookies.

Thanks, Abhaya

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

If you search 'vanilla fig' here you'll find the recipe is already posted in a couple of different threads. Saves having to re-type the whole recipe. I linked it for you below.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Vanilla Fig preserves recipe discussions

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Thanks Dave.

ahbee, here's the recipe I have for roasted red pepper soup, it's amazing. I got it from Chase on the Cooking Forum, she's from the Toronto area, and she roasts the peppers and freezes them for this soup. No tomatoes, though...

Roasted Red Pepper Soup
    Source: Sharon(chase)

4 Red Bell Peppers,roasted, seeded and peeled
    2 TBSP Butter (or margarine)
    1 Red onion,chopped
    2 Garlic cloves,minced
    4 cups Chicken broth
    1 TBSP Lemon Juice
    Salt & Pepper to taste

Saute onions and garlic in butter until soft. Add red peppers. Cook for 2 or 3 minutes. Add broth cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add lemon juice. Process in food processoe until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Place back on stove until ready to serve.

NOTE: To roast the peppers place whole peppers under the broiler or on a hot grill. Turn peppers until blackened on all sides. Place hot peppers in a plastic bag and tie shut. Whne the peppers have cooled completely remove from the bag. Remove all the skin and seeds.

Annie

• never-give-up
    14 years ago

brokenbar posted this one on bring out your soups and stews.

Roasted Pepper & Tomato Soup
    2 sweet red peppers
    6 cups tomatoes, chopped (2 - 28 oz. cans, undrained)
    2 tablespoons sugar
    2 cloves garlic
    salt
    pepper
    1/4 cup heavy cream
    4 tablespoons butter
    1 yellow Bell Pepper cut into rings (garnish)
    Sour Cream (garnish)
    Grill the peppers, turning frequently, until blackened all over.
    Peel off the skin.
    Gently wipe or scrape off any remaining black stuff from the outside. Cut open and discard seeds and white insides.
    Do not wash as this will flush away much of the flavour.
    Puree peppers and tomatoes in a blender or food processor.
    Strain out seeds. I use my own jars of tomato sauce that has no seeds.
    Place pepper/tomato mixture in a saucepan.
    Bring to a boil, then simmer uncovered for about 25 minutes.
    Add remaining ingredients except butter.
    Simmer uncovered for 15 - 20 minutes.
    Remove from heat. Set pan in ice water and gradually whisk in butter.
    Cool, cover and refrigerate overnight. Next day, heat gently, garnish with yellow bell pepper ring with a dollop of sour cream inside ring and serve. Note: This soup is quite mild.
    Some people might like to add a little zing, like maybe a dash of Tabasco.

• ahbee01
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all they sound so wonderful! I have another milk crate full of red peppers! So yummy!

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company