Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flash_gw

Oliverio brand Italian Style Peppers in Tomato Sauce

Flash
16 years ago

Hello, all.

I've been a memeber of Garden Web for years but haven't been active in quite some time. I hope you all don't mind me asking for help.

My sister loves to eat Oliverio brand "Italian Style Peppers in Sauce Olvero." I'm trying to help her find a recipe that seems to be similar to what she buys but is also SAFE. I've done some searching here, on the internet in general and in books and will continue to do so but wondered if anyone would be willing to share any similar recipes or point me somewhere that I may be able to find this type of recipe. I imagine it would be processed in a pressure canner (which she has access to) because of the amount of low-acid veggies.

Thanks in advance for any possible help anyone can give.

Comments (8)

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

Suggest that the peppers be roasted and have the skins and seed cores removed. Then pack in jars with these and add the tomato sauce. To help in food safety, you can add a half teaspoon of citric acid to the quart jars, and that should take care of the low acidity concerns. I'm planning on doing similar with just roasted peppers alone, and will be using ascorbic acid, citric acid, and some potassium sorbate. The three in combination should give acid enough, and I will also be adding salt.

• readinglady
    16 years ago

Take it for what it's worth, but I wouldn't add peppers to tomato sauce and then BWB. The citric acid is sufficient for the tomatoes but not for the peppers, which are lower acid.

This is what I'd do, but this is not "official." We're not talking a tested recipe here.

I'd prepare a standard recipe for tomato sauce, including the appropriate citric acid or lemon juice for each jar. If made ahead, the sauce will need to be re-heated.

Prep the peppers per the link I've provided, put the acid in the jars then the peppers. Instead of water use THIN tomato sauce (to avoid undue increases in density) to cover and process in pressure canner according to the time for peppers.

I'd also stick to half-pint jars. The smaller the jar the better the heat penetration.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Canned Peppers

• Flash
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the responses so far. I'll keep that information in mind.

Is anyone else willing to share (or point me to a) tried and true recipe for peppers in tomato sauce? Since she is new to canning, I think it's best that she use a tested recipe and a pressure canner.

Thanks.

• readinglady
    16 years ago

AFAIK, there is no tested recipe. We always will post tested recipes in response to questions, if one is available.

The problem is commercial processors have labs to test for appropriate acidification, pH, heat penetration. They also have pressure equipment far beyond what the home canner has available.

You're right to prefer a tested recipe. On this one she may have to freeze as a back-up, if she has the space.

Carol

• Flash
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the freezing suggestion and other information. I'll let her know.

• Joyce Stewart
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I lived in Fairmont, WV and this is how I do it. 12 sweet peppers, 12 hot peppers, 15oz tomato sauce, 2 Tablespoons basil, 2 Tablespoon Oregano, 2 tablespoons salt, 1 cup oil, 1/4 cup vinegar, 2 Tablespoons sugar, Fry peppers in oil, put everything together and simmer 5 min. Put in pint jars and put in hot water bath for 15 min.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    3 years ago

Whoa! That recipe doesn't sound safe to me. The oil alone makes it quite dangerous.

• HU-269454256
    last year

Ive done this before. Never had problem with spoilage. Add lemon juice or vinegar and hot water bath at least 15 minutes. Shou Should be fine