Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Berry Cordial Questions

Posted by decemberdaisy NH (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 13, 11 at 16:02

I'm sitting here surrounded by 4 quart jars of raspberry cordial. I was given some strawberry last year as a gift and I liked it so much that I got the recipe to try making some myself. I made strawberry & raspberry this summer. The thought occurred to me that although the ingredients are berries (washed), sugar and vodka I should probably a. make sure that it's safe, and b. see if anyone else has made it & can therefore answer some questions.

Last year my cordial had zero sediment in it. My friend assured me that the recipe she gave me is the exact one she used, except this year I'm finding some gelatinous sediment in the bottom of my jars. It resembles mother of vinegar and strains out just fine. Any thoughts on that?

Here is the recipe:

1 lb berries; larger berries chopped
1 quart vodka

Put berries in a clean glass jar. Pour 1 quart vodka on top of the berries. Put a tight fitting lid on your jar and place in a cool, dark place for a week.

After the week has passed, strain your vodka into a second clean glass jar with a tight fitting lid. Mix the berries with 2 cups of sugar and place that mixture in another clean glass jar with a tight fitting lid. Place both jars in a cool, dark place for a month. Shake the jar with the berries in it occasionally (the sugar eventually dissolves into the juice from the berries).

Strain the berries again and add the liquid to the vodka and mix well. Leave the vodka mixture for 4 to 6 months before consuming. The longer it sits the better the flavor.

I plan on giving this as gifts (provided it's safe) & made enough to last us quite a while. Last year we enjoyed it mixed with champagne on New Year's Eve. :) Thanks for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Berry Cordial Questions

I make country wines from various fruits, at the moment I have 5 gallons of plum on the go.
Pectin is your enemy, adding fruit to Vodka it will precipitate out leaving a cloudy look. I would suggest you try the wine making store for Pectin haze eliminator.
Quite harmless, I doubt bacteria will grow in a Vodka liquid.

o

That's PECTIN! Ohhhhhh, makes so much sense. Thanks!

o

My cordial recipe combines everything from the beginning.
Berries/fruit, vodka, sugar and a little water in a gallon jar.

It sits for 1-2 months and gets a shake whenever I think about it. Strain and bottle.
Oh so sweet, but delicious!

Beeman...........
Would love to hear from through gardenweb mail about the country wine process, but don't want steal this thread.
Please email me!

Deanna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here