Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do I really have to blister peppers for canning?

Posted by bfreeman_sunset20 Ca 9b vta co (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 24, 08 at 16:10

How much difference will it make if I dont blister my pepper skins before canning or freezing? I have a hard time doing it... It doesnt come off well and they turn to mush before I get them in the jar

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do I really have to blister peppers for canning?

I'm guessing you'll end up with a tough leathery skin and the soft inner flesh. Not good. Plus you're leaving on the part that harbors bacteria.

How are you blistering the peppers. I line a shallow pan with foil, put all the peppers (halved and seeded can speed things up) cut-side down on the bottom and stick under the broiler. They're done in no time.

Then, when they're charred, I take out of the oven and pull the foil up around the peppers to make a packet. Leave it for a while. When you open the packet all the juices are contained and the skins should peel off pretty easily.

Minimal mess.

Carol

o

I blister mine the same way as Carol.
I agree, you don't have to, but the peel is tough.

o

I line them up on a long skewer, then run them over an open flame - my gas stove burner. When thoroughly blackened, put in a paper bag to steam. The peels come off readily.

Bejay

o

As long as you wash the peppers, I can't think of a safety reason to peel them, so if you'd rather not, don't, and see if you like the results!

I don't do it for freezing. I use the thawed pepper strips in recipes (stir fries, etc.) as if they were fresh, and they work just fine.

But then, I make fresh tomato sauces without peeling the tomatoes, too.

I do peel peppers and toms for canning into sauces and spreads, and for making soups, salad dressings, etc. where I want the result to be nice and smooth.

Don't know as I'd agree that the peels of sweet red peppers are "tough"---it seems to me more that the reason for peeling them is that, as with tomatoes, little bits will come off in some kinds of highly cooked-down recipes, and get between your teeth. Tomatoes do this way more. And some varieties a lot more than others. With peppers I haven't found it to happen nearly as much. And any peel that clings so tightly to the flesh that you have trouble getting it off after blistering is not likely to cause trouble, so you could probably feel safe leaving it on, and just removing the parts that come loose easily! (I leave on any bits that don't come off with ease, and even the roasted red pepper spread comes out fine.)

There's a discussion of peeling that I found useful at the link below. It points out that some cooking gurus, such as Escoffier, who insist on peeling peppers also peeled grapes and olives. ;-)

GOod luck, in any case!

Zabby

Here is a link that might be useful: Peeling Roasted Peppers

o

Wel heck Carol duh never thought to use the foil, I would put them in paper bags to sweat, lol.

o

Believe me, I also wasted a lot of time fiddling with paper bags before I realized this is one of the best uses for foil ever.

I try to mimize use of aluminum foil but paper bags aren't recommended for food preparation. University of Minnesota extension says they're not sanitary and you have the ink, glue and [sometimes unknown] recycled materials in them.

Carol

o

I stick the peppers under the broiler on a really close rack until they are pretty charred. I stick mine in a plastic bag until cool and then the skins come off pretty easily.

o

Carol, me too on all counts---I don't use much foil, and generally avoid disposable cooking stuff. But for roasting peppers, I find the double advantage of foil --- fold it up for "sweating" the peppers, plus throw it away with no clean-up --- to be irresistible! ;-)

Zabby

o

I place them right on the heat bars of my grill. They are burned to black color. Without the skins, they do get soft. Suggest that if your wanting more firmenss, try growing Pimento type peppers. These are VERY thick meaty peppers with a point at the bottom and kind of heart shaped. I place them on the grill and flip them several times until about 80% is black. They get tossed into a big pastic bag and, once done and cooled, they are cleaned under the sink, with a trickle of water. I also remove the seeds. They are very similar to store bought roasted peppers, also a favorite of mine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here