Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bfreeman_sunset20

Do I really have to blister peppers for canning?

bfreeman_sunset20
15 years ago

How much difference will it make if I dont blister my pepper skins before canning or freezing? I have a hard time doing it... It doesnt come off well and they turn to mush before I get them in the jar

Comments (9)

• readinglady
    15 years ago

I'm guessing you'll end up with a tough leathery skin and the soft inner flesh. Not good. Plus you're leaving on the part that harbors bacteria.

How are you blistering the peppers. I line a shallow pan with foil, put all the peppers (halved and seeded can speed things up) cut-side down on the bottom and stick under the broiler. They're done in no time.

Then, when they're charred, I take out of the oven and pull the foil up around the peppers to make a packet. Leave it for a while. When you open the packet all the juices are contained and the skins should peel off pretty easily.

Minimal mess.

Carol

• Linda_Lou
    15 years ago

I blister mine the same way as Carol.
    I agree, you don't have to, but the peel is tough.

• bejay9_10
    15 years ago

I line them up on a long skewer, then run them over an open flame - my gas stove burner. When thoroughly blackened, put in a paper bag to steam. The peels come off readily.

Bejay

• busylizzy
    15 years ago

Wel heck Carol duh never thought to use the foil, I would put them in paper bags to sweat, lol.

• readinglady
    15 years ago

Believe me, I also wasted a lot of time fiddling with paper bags before I realized this is one of the best uses for foil ever.

I try to mimize use of aluminum foil but paper bags aren't recommended for food preparation. University of Minnesota extension says they're not sanitary and you have the ink, glue and [sometimes unknown] recycled materials in them.

Carol

• dogear6
    15 years ago

I stick the peppers under the broiler on a really close rack until they are pretty charred. I stick mine in a plastic bag until cool and then the skins come off pretty easily.

• zabby17
    15 years ago

Carol, me too on all counts---I don't use much foil, and generally avoid disposable cooking stuff. But for roasting peppers, I find the double advantage of foil --- fold it up for "sweating" the peppers, plus throw it away with no clean-up --- to be irresistible! ;-)

Zabby

• ksrogers
    15 years ago

I place them right on the heat bars of my grill. They are burned to black color. Without the skins, they do get soft. Suggest that if your wanting more firmenss, try growing Pimento type peppers. These are VERY thick meaty peppers with a point at the bottom and kind of heart shaped. I place them on the grill and flip them several times until about 80% is black. They get tossed into a big pastic bag and, once done and cooled, they are cleaned under the sink, with a trickle of water. I also remove the seeds. They are very similar to store bought roasted peppers, also a favorite of mine.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH