Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

What should I do with all these lids/rings?

catherinet
9 years ago

I used to can a lot, and always bought a bunch of lids and rings when they were on sale. But then I had chidren and got too busy to can, and started freezing everything.

I have a big cardboard box filled with lots of boxes of lids and lids/rings. It's been in the basement for 15-20 years. I'm finally doing a huge clean-out. This is my concern: Our basement has had big fluctuations in temperature.........sometimes it was very humid and sometimes it was very dry. For about 10 years we used an a.c. to cool it down in the summer (because of DH's wine collection)........then we quit using that and went to a dehumidifier.
Anyhow..........bottom line is I'd like to give these away locally, but I have concerns that maybe their age and having been in a very dry environment part of the year may affect their seal-ability. I would hate to give them away and then someone's jars never seal.....or don't stay sealed.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Comments (4)

• dgkritch
    9 years ago

Rings are fine if they're not rusty.
    I would advertise them as what they are. Some folks might be interested in the lids for dry storage, crafts, etc.
    As long as they know they are old, you shouldn't have to worry about any liability.

Deanna

• catherinet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Deanna,
    Does anyone know if most recycling centers take the lids?

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Message myfamilysfarm through GW I know she was looking for rings and may take lids too.

Goodwill will take lids and rings.

• catherinet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone.