Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardengalrn

A couple of questions and the NCHFP course

gardengalrn
10 years ago

I've been canning sporadically for 10 or so years. I've never done large quantities nor done it so often that I don't have to look at the recipes time and again while cooking and refer to my manuals for the canners. I took the NCHFP course the other night and was really glad I did. I thought at first it was pretty simplistic but as it went on I really learned a few things. I would really recommend it for those of you like me who may not be as confident as the more seasoned canners here.

That being said, I do have a few questions. I canned some whole (small) pear-plum tomatoes the other night. They looked great and have been sitting on the counter since. I'm getting ready to make salsa tonight so was removing the rings to store the jars. All seals are good but I did noticed several jars had some debris up at the rim of the lid, as if it were probably on the verge of syphoning. Several rings were hard to remove so I would image there WAS some degree of syphoning. Will these still be safe for storage if I keep an eye on the seals?

Second, I know you can stack jars in the canner and have done it before but I don't remember what the guidelines of doing it are. I think I just put one on top of the other as long as there was enough space for the water to cover by an inch or so. Is this right? Thanks, Lori

Comments (7)

• Linda_Lou
    10 years ago

It is a good course, especially for free. I am glad you took it.

The tomatoes will be fine as long as they are sealed. I am sure you added the bottled lemon juice and processed for the right time.

You should put a rack between the layers of jars and then you stagger the jars. Don't sit one on top of the other, but like a pyramid. If BWB canning, then yes, at least 1 inch of water over the tops of the jars.

• readinglady
    10 years ago

Debris around or adjacent to the lid is not a concern in-and-of itself as long as the seal is sound. I put those jars at the front to monitor easily and just use them first.

Jars can be stacked in the canner but it's best to use a rack between (I use a Presto canner rack.) or stagger the jars rather than putting them directly atop the jars below.

Carol

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

The debris is one big reason why removing the bands and washing the outside of the jars well with hot soapy water 24 hours after processing is recommended. Pay special attention to the seal area when washing the jars prior to storing.

Just as stacking jars in the canner requires a middle rack, so does stacking during storage. An interim sheet of cardboard or a thin layer of plywood works well. The wieght of a jar sitting right on top of another can break the seal on the lower jar.

in addition to the course, NCHFP provides a great set of FAQs and Hot Topics articles that provide even more information.

Dave

• gardengalrn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks ladies. I don't think I will need to stack my salsa tonight but that is good to know if I get my hands on some apples/pears because I love making sauce out of them together and putting up in half pints for a quick snack. Lori

• gardengalrn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dave, I think you and I were writing at the same time so I should have said thanks ladies and gent, LOL. Yes, I did use the lemon juice and proper processing time but that debris made me worry a bit so I'm glad I asked. Good reminder about storing with some cardboard between because I hadn't done that. Lori

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

I've never stacked in my BWB, just in the pressure canner. I don't have enough room for my liking. I was taught to stagger the jars.

• gardengalrn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm going to hijack my own thread. I've received tomatoes from 3 different sources this year for canning. I've noticed quite a bit of those white fibrous spots on many fruits from all sources. I used to think this was stink bug activity but I'm not sure that is all there is to it. I carve those spots off but sometimes that leaves very little if any good tomato left. Anyone else coming across this more so this year? Lori