Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bloomfielder

Freeze breaded green tomatoes for frying?

Bloomfielder
18 years ago

If anyone has I'd be interested in hearing if you were happy with the results. Thanks!

Comments (17)

• ksrogers
    18 years ago

Never tried it, but think that any breading would fall off once frozen. It may be better to bread them, and partially cook, bake, or fry them, and then freeze.

• Bloomfielder
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, hoping someone has experience versus opinon.

• annie1992
    18 years ago

Bloomfielder, I have a problem with the breading falling off when I make them fresh, too. (grin)

In spite of that, I did freeze some this year and have already cooked a batch for Ashley because the fresh green tomatoes were at the farm and these were here. I found that if you put them into the hot pan while still frozen they seem to keep their breading and their texture better. Thawed they were nearly impossible to handle.

I think the next batch I will make a "heavier" breading, maybe do the egg dip and breading twice, and see if that helps, although I was pretty pleased with the results the first time.

Annie

• Bloomfielder
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, Annie. I think I'll experiment, do one batch just floured for a batter dip and fry and one batch breaded. I'm thinking if I flash freeze in one layer and store with wax paper in between, the cook from a frozen state it might be okay. Green tomatoes are one of those summer treats that I would kill for around Februrary!

• annie1992
    18 years ago

Good Luck, Bloomfielder. Like you, I want fried green tomatoes about January or February. Or maybe for breakfast on New Year's Day.

Just don't thaw them before you fry them, geez, what a mess.

Annie

• elkriverbred
    18 years ago

Have you ever tried canning green tomato slices for frying?

• annie1992
    18 years ago

ElkRiver, someone else suggested that too, but I've not tried it. Have you? If so, what were your results?

Annie

• elkriverbred
    18 years ago

I can them every year. They turn out pretty good. I drop them in an egg wash and breading and then saute them at a med-high heat in butter to just brown them. Come January it will be better than nothing.

• Bloomfielder
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Great idea Elk River, thanks. How do you process? I'm assuming you just follow the same basic timing in BWB for cold pack tomatoes?
    Annie, our new fried green tomato fixation (would be great on New Year's Day) is to sub big, thick slices for the english muffins in Eggs Benedict. And if you realllly want to treat yourself, a few chunks of lobster or crab for the canadian bacon.

• elkriverbred
    18 years ago

This is my recipe that I use. It will not follow the methodology of any canning book. Select tomatoes that will fit through the top of a widemouth quart jar.

CANNED FRIED GREEN TOMATOES

Core and cut green tomatoes into fat 3/4 inch slices and soak overnight in an acid - saltwater mixture (one cup of pickling salt and ½ cup of lemon juice to each gallon of spring water). Make sure all of the tomatoes are covered with the mixture. In the morning drain the tomatoes. Rinse with cold spring water, drain, and place slices in jars.
    To each quart of tomatoes: cover with two tablespoons of lemon juice and fill to within a ½ inch of jar top with spring water. Wipe jars and seal. Cold pack and process 10 minutes after a lot of steam comes out from around canner lid. Do not lift canner lid while water is boiling.

To Fry: Drain. Place in cold water in refrigerator for two hours and then roll in egg and seasoned flour and fry like fresh green tomatoes.

• annie1992
    18 years ago

Bloomfielder, that green tomato Eggs Benedict sounds amazing, and I got a late start and no breakfast.

It hasn't frosted here yet and I still have green ones, so I know what's on the menu. It's hard to find lobster or crab in my tiny town, but the canadian bacon will do for now.....

Tim, do those tomatoes get soft at all or do they stay pretty firm?

Annie

• katykelly_gw
    17 years ago

I did quarts of the canned fried green toms last year and they were a big hit all winter. I can't remember using spring water, but I guess I did. Why can't I use distilled, as I've read it's good for keeping pickled veggies firm? OK, I always use distilled for pickling, but this really isn't pickling. Does it make a difference? TIA

• aberwacky_ar7b
    17 years ago

I've frozen sliced green tomatoes (no breading) and then just dip and bread the frozen ones and fry them still frozen. Works very well--the key is to not let them thaw! Less messy than freezing already-breaded slices. When it's time to bread, I dip them in beaten egg then dredge them in a cornmeal/flour mix.

I freeze the slices on a tray, then put them in a ziploc or vaccuum seal them with my foodsaver.

Leigh

• girlsingardens
    17 years ago

One thing that my MIL found was news to me. We have had fried zucchini since I was young and always had trouble with the breading falling off. My MIL was here for my DD birthday and she mentioned that she thought we should dip in flour before the eggs and cracker crumbs. She went home and did try this and she said that it worked great that way and I have done the same and the breading stays on better. I thought that this might help those with breading falling off the tomatoes when making them fresh.

Stacie

• annie1992
    17 years ago

stacie, I always dip my tomatoes, zucchini, onion rings, etc., twice. I usually start with a dip in egg wash, then dusting of flour, another egg dip, then crumbs or more seasoned flour.

Onion rings I start in buttermilk, then seasoned flour, then egg wash, then crumbs (usually cracker, but occasionally panko).

It does stay on a lot better, and I learned that trick when asking the cook at a local restaurant how they made their onion rings, which I just loved. That was the method she used and if it worked for the Doo Drop Inn, it'll work for me. LOL

Annie

• dgkritch
    17 years ago

Just this year, I started baking instead of frying.
    I'm hooked.

I have a great recipe for fried zucchini sticks (I've done slices of tomato, both green and red and zucchini).

The one thing I've always hated is that it takes so long to fry enough at once ( I REALLY like fried zukes).

By baking them, I can do an entire cookie sheet full in 20-25 minutes!!! They are crispier and lower fat. Definitely a winning combo for me!

Basically, it's an egg dip, then dredge in a combination of bread crumbs, parmesean cheese (the cheap dry stuff works great here), and any herbs you like. Bake at 425 for 20-25 minutes until nicely browned.

Mmmmmm.....

Deanna

• reedsgallery
    7 months ago

First I cut them then put them on a paper towel for 10 minutes to get the water out. Then I take them , dip them in egg, then a combination of flour and cornmeal, dip them again, then panko. I them put them on a sheet with either parchment or wax paper and freeze for 3 to 4 hours. Then I bag them up. Works great. I fry them while they are frozen.