Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terryannem

New Member, New Canner, Pickle Concerns

terryannem
12 years ago

Sorry for the duplicate post, but I realized I put my original message at the end of another message thread.

Hello everyone. I am new to the forums as of today, and have been canning only a couple of seasons. I have been reading through a lot of the posts about pickle concerns, and I want to make sure mine are safe.

I used the Ball Flex batch pickle mix for both Bread and Butter and Dill pickles. I followed the recipes on the jars for the pickling liquid. But to a couple of the batches I added 1 or 2 sweet cherry peppers to the jars (all pint size). We pierced the pepper skins before adding them to the jars. The tops of the peppers with a small amount of green stem are still attached.

We added these to both dill and bread and butter recipes.

I also put a small green tomato in one of the jars of dill pickles.

I also have a concern about water. I bought distilled water today to use from here on in, but we do have fairly hard water (there is a noticeable white residue left inside the canning pot after boiling.) A couple of the dill batches used my tap water in the pickling liquid, and in one case I used bottled spring water. Are these safe to eat? The one where I used the spring water looked a bit cloudy, the one from my tap still looks ok.

Sorry for so many questions, but now I have "pickle paranoia" as I saw the title of one of the threads! Thanks in advance for your replies.

Comments (3)