Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristadarin

Applesauce - rolling boil

kristadarin
10 years ago

Hi all,

So glad to be back, reading all of your generous and helpful messages, and trying not to go crazy...

Here is my question. I canned a bunch of apple butter and apple sauce yesterday. I followed a vinegar + sugar recipe for the apple butter, and am strangely not paranoid about its safety. But for the applesauce, I tried (and failed) to follow the Bernardin recipe, which reads as follows:

- Stirring to prevent sticking, bring applesauce to a full rolling boil (212F/100C) and maintain this temperature while filling jars.

Now, because I am paranoid, I actually got out a thermometer and tried to wait until the sauce got up to temp. It never did. And it was sputtering away like mad. The highest I could get it was 204, but it wouldn't hold at that temp.

So we decided to just can. And subsequently, I checked a number of other reputable sources, none of which indicated this 212F minimum. I have decided to trust that my sauce is safe (I did add a little lemon, too), but would like your thoughts, because I still have about 15 lb of apples, but am scared to try to replicate this. I have burns all over my hands!

And I'm about 300 ft above sea level.

Thank you so much. Also, any tips for avoiding the napalm-like effects of bubbling applesauce would be much appreciated. Oh, also, I did keep adding apple juice, and I thought the sauce wasn't that thick, but maybe it was? Could you show me what kind of texture you aim for?

Thanks a million. I love you guys.

Comments (5)

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

I have my HOT but not boiling. It's hot enough to burn me if it spills, but not boiling.

If you were happy with the apple butter, applesauce is what happens BEFORE butter. Butter takes more cooking down.

I'm so happy that this forum is here for all the newer canners, since many don't have the family to hold their hands on the first few batches. I was lucky to come from a canning family, but I know lots of people didn't.

• readinglady
    10 years ago

If it was "sputtering like mad" then it's already quite hot enough (i.e. volcanic). In fact at that point it's almost hazardous!

I'd guess your thermometer needs to be calibrated, but either way you're fine as long as the applesauce is thoroughly heated. It's not a high-risk product.

Enjoy.

P.S. A spatter screen can help during cooking as can a good deep pan. I also use those flock-lined kitchen gloves when necessary (and no shorts or bare feet while canning for obvious reasons!) Once I've gotten the mixture at a good temperature I turn off the heat or pull the pan off the burner. There's enough volume that it will stay quite warm enough for jar filling and it does reduce the risk.

Carol

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

If you haven't tried the 'ove glove', do so. I got a pair at Christmas, and while they are huge on me, they are wonderful for hot handles and such.

• kristadarin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Whew.

I am so very very relieved. And wish that I had finished up my apples already, but now that I know that I don't have to subject myself to third-degree burns, I feel I can move forward with confidence.

You guys are seriously awesome. Seriously. I hope you know how appreciated you are. (And if you didn't before, I hope you know now!)

xo

• lpinkmountain
    10 years ago

I have the same problem with almost all my canning, I can't seem to get the temps they recommend when I use my canning thermometer. I think that these thermometers are just way off. I have ruined a few things by trusting my thermometer instead of what it looks like. I got strawberry taffy once trying to get my jam to get to the right temperature, and I ruined a batch of peach jam. I have also overcooked meat on several occasions waiting for it to reach the prescribed temperature. I would like to get something higher end in the thermometer department but sadly I can't afford it. I don't do enough canning to worry about it, but if something is actually boiling, it does have to actually be at a certain temperature in order for that to happen. One of the issues is knowing if you have to adjust due to your altitude, that will affect temp. Not sure how much boiling temps can waiver, would be an interesting experiment.