Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bebet_gw

Red onion relish

bebet
11 years ago

I hope someone can help me. I was just in the process of making thing when I realized I forgot the dry red wine. Closes store is half hour away. Does anyone know of anything else I could substitute? Otherwise I will just wait. But had every thing ready to go.. So you know the feeling.Thank you for any help. I will also post recipe because I know it is from here and oh so good.This is amazing...I used a good wine and $$balsamic vinegar and it was out of this world!! So far I've tried it in a grilled cheese and of course as a topping on burgers. YUMMY

Caramelized Red Onion Relish

2 large red onions, peeled

1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar

1 cup dry red wine

3 tbsp balsamic vinegar

1/8 tsp each salt and freshly ground pepper

Slice onions into very thin slices. Combine onions and sugar in a heavy non-stick skillet. Cook, uncovered, over medium-high heat for about 25 minutes or until onions turn golden and start to caramelize, stirring frequently.

Stir in wine and vinegar. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat to low and cook for about 15 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated, stirring frequently. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Remove jars from canner and ladle relish into jars leaving a 1/2 headspace. Process in water bath canner for 10 minutes for half-pint jars.

Comments (8)

• Seasyde
    11 years ago

I can't help you with the wine issue. I think I'd just put it in the refrigerator and wait until I could get the wine. It certainly sounds tasty though. I may give it a try. Does the recipe indicate how many half pints it makes? Sounds like something I'd probably double.

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Without the wine you'll get a very different end result so it is best to wait until you get the wine. You can sub any 5% vinegar for the wine but the flavor will be totally different and not nearly as good - just a pickled onion taste.

Dave

• bebet
    Original Author
    11 years ago

TY Dave, That's what I figured. I will just get the wine tomorrow. Seasyde I found the original recipe on here from a post about "Greatest hits for Leesa". While I am out tomorrow may pick up the plums for the Plum Sauce also found on that page. So many great recipes... TY again for the help. ..

• bebet
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Opps sorry, one more question. Any suggestion on what a half way decent good dry red wine would be. as I said. I am not even sure what to look for. Last time I made it my MIL helped me out. But she is no longer around and we are not big drinkers. Also as for the balsamic goes. should I go out and by an expensive bottle while I am out getting the wine. Or should what I have at home be fine. I want to make small batches and give in baskets along with other home made goodies. But want to be sure they will taste..

• readinglady
    11 years ago

That's an Ellie Topp recipe. I use a decent balsamic but not the super-expensive stuff because it's just not necessary. Look on the neck for a CABM seal. In English that's the Consortium for the Protection of Balsamic Vinegar of Modena. A burgundy seal indicates 3 year or less of aging and is perfectly suitable for a canned onion relish. For a drizzling balsamic look for a gold and white seal. That's a balsamic aged more than three years; it will be proportionately more expensive.

Trader Joe's is good value. Archer Farms and Lucini get good reviews. I haven't tasted Costco's but usually anything with their Kirkland brand is pretty decent.

For red wine it depends on how assertive you want it to be. I tend to prefer Syrah or Merlot rather than Cabernet because they are softer. Oregon and Washington have a plethora of competitively-priced red wines and red wine blends. It's hard to go wrong with any of them.

You could probably sub a good red wine vinegar but you'd have to up the sugar to compensate and I don't know that would yield the best results. It would depend a lot on the vinegar.

Carol

• JXBrown (Sunset 24, N San Diego County)
    11 years ago

Gallo is cheap, decent and readily available. I usually buy the 4-pack of 180 mL bottles (2/3 cup) to use in cooking when I don't have something else available. Merlot or pinot noir are good for cooking.

• nancyofnc
    11 years ago

I prefer a Shiraz. A little bit of peppery taste in canned things like jellies and chutney.

For drying tomatoes though I soak them in cheap Merlot from the cardboard box, sprinkle with herbs and then pop them in the dehydrator. I've used other reds but it makes no dif once the moisture is out of the fruit and the wine.

Nancy

• gardenamy
    11 years ago

Does anyone know if this is a similar recipe to the Ball Blue Book Red Onion with Honey recipe?? Have wanted to try the BBB but don't have a pressure canner but could certainly do water bath! How would this be as a glaze for meat?

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor