Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quart Jars Regular Mouth?

Posted by cannond 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 23, 12 at 17:27

I was given 24 quart jars (regular sized mouth). Since I don't pressure process if I can avoid it (I usually ferment, dehydrate or cellar high ph foods) what on earth can I put in these jars for water bathing? I'm having a mental block on this.

Chili sauce?

Help

Deborah

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quart Jars Regular Mouth?

Most any fruits like sliced peaches, tomatoes, tomato juice, applesauce, apple pie filling or any fruit pie filling, apple juice, grape juice, fruit cocktail, just for starters.

You can also use them for fermenting things in - many make kraut or ferment peppers in quart jars - and for storing dried fruits and vegetables.

Dave

o

• Posted by malna NJ 5/6 (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 23, 12 at 19:14

I have put up sliced fruits like peaches and apples or whole fruits like cherries, bread and butter type pickles, ... but since a quart of anything is almost always too much for just us two, they got retired to storage jars for specialty flours, dried beans, poppy seeds in the fridge, etc. Especially after I got my hand stuck (don't ask) trying to artistically arrange cucumber spears in one.

o

Definitely good for fruit juice or tomato juice.

o

I inherited dozens of these from my mom. I used them for the same things Dave listed: peaches, applesauce, pasta sauce, pie fillings and grape juice... enjoy!

o

I didn't want you good people to think I didn't appreciate your responses. I lost my glasses and couldn't read the computer. Now I can see again. Thanks.

One more question. I copied a recipe somewhere in here for a Ro-tel type tomato. Do you think I could can it in quarts?

Deborah

o

No sorry but just as with all the other salsa-type recipes it is for pints only. There is no calibrated processing time for quarts.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here