Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
apple cider vinegar

Posted by pepfun1 WA z8 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 23, 08 at 17:27

Will apple cider vinegar go bad?? I have 2 small bottles that are going on being several years old and don't have expiration dates on the bottles. Do they expire or just get more 'vingary' and lose the appleness? What can I do with them?
TIA
Pep

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: apple cider vinegar

• Posted by malna NJ 5/6 (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 23, 08 at 17:59

How Long Does Vinegar Last?

The Vinegar Institute conducted studies to find out and confirmed that vinegars shelf life is almost indefinite. Because of its acid nature, vinegar is self-preserving and does not need refrigeration. White distilled vinegar will remain virtually unchanged over an extended period of time. And, while some changes can be observed in other types of vinegars, such as color changes or the development of a haze or sediment, this is only an aesthetic change. The product can still be used and enjoyed with confidence.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Vinegar Institute

o

Agree. You will see sediment begin to develop in the bottom of cider vinegar and it turns a darker brown. Doesn't look good but technically it is still safe.

On the other hand, vinegar is so inexpensive that really old bottles are easily replaced.

Dave

o

if its very old, it could be higher than 5% acidity. If so, its great to use to vive something more vinegar taste instead of a lot more water. Cider vinegar is milder than white, and works very well in highly spiced sweet pickles, as well as in salsa.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here