Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeanwedding

will someone please post the Squash relish ?receipe

I did the one in the Ball book.

Now I want to use up some of my several bags of baby carrots...

I see the Linsey Lucious recipe. I want to print it out...

But every time I copy and paste it it show the dark background. I dont want to waste that much ink.

I am still a newbie mac user...

Some can someone please post the recipe so I can print it out....Got the zukes shredded

want a permanent copy and scribbling it hurriedly is hard to read and takes too much time and running

back and forth between the LR and kitchen is too much.. LOl

Thanks

Jean

Comments (5)

• readinglady
    12 years ago

I was confused by your post as you discussed using up carrots but asked for a squash relish. It's also helpful to know the specific address for the recipe you'd like re-formatted rather than having to search it out.

I think this is what you were looking for:

Zucchini Relish
    (an homage to Muriel and Linda Lou)

10 cups zucchini, peeled or not, cored, seeded and either ground (who has a grinder anymore?) or shredded (which I much prefer)
    3 cups onions, peeled, ends removed and grated or finely chopped
    2 cups carrots, ground or shredded
    1 red pepper, seeded, cored and finely chopped
    1 cup mixed hot peppers, seeded, cored and finely chopped (or one green pepper if you're a wuss)
    4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
    5 tablespoons canning/pickling salt
    2 1/2 cups cider vinegar
    3 cups sugar*
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    2 teaspoons mustard seeds (I used yellow--brown would be spicier)
    2 teaspoons celery seeds
    3/4 teaspoon tumeric

Combine all of the shredded/chopped vegetables with the salt in a large, non-metallic bowl. Cover and refrigerate overnight. The next day, drain very well. (Some people choose to rinse the mixture to remove more of the salt, but I like my pickled relishes a little on the salty side!)

Bring the vinegar, sugar, and spices to a boil in a large stock pot. Add the drained zucchini mixture, stir well, and bring back to a vigorous boil. Some recipes call for up to 30 minutes of simmering the relish, but I think it gets too mushy and colorless if you cook it that long. I would opt for 10-15 minutes until much of the liquid evaporates and the mixture just starts to thicken. Pack in hot, sterilized jars (using that plastic stick thing that came with your canning kit, or any non-metallic spatula, to remove air bubbles from the thick relish). Process in a boiling water bath, 10 minutes for half-pints, and 15 minutes for pints. As with all pickled products, let the flavors develop for at least a month before opening and consuming.

Yield: 5 pints

*This still makes a pretty sweet relish. In subsequent batches, I cut the sugar by half again (= 1 1/2 cups), and that was perfect for my tastes. So take that under advisement . . .

http://lindseysluscious.blogspot.com/2007/08/god-save-us-all-fromthe-zucchini.html

P.S. What you do next time with a recipe like this is Select+Copy+Paste into a document. It won't have a black background but you will have to change the color of the text.

Carol

• jeanwedding. zone 6
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Carol
    I so�a appreciate your doing so.. Now I can put it on the fridge...now...
    I dont know how to change text color This is a MAC......
    I have been copying to document for years on WINDOWS systems.....
    Now my text edit documents are printed so small it is hard to read......
    Just started happening a week ago or so....
    Dont see anywhere I can go and change font size..... When I did so it still previewed and printed tiny tiny.....
    I could fit 6 or 8 print out of this recipe on one piece of paper..... LOL
    I have been since before Win 98 so when get time will check out Macrumors for help etc...
    Thanks
    Jean

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

I thought you already did the zucchini relish? If so what recipe are you after?

Dave

• readinglady
    12 years ago

Dave, I think the OP had made the Ball recipe but wanted to try Lindseylucious's version of Linda_Lou's zucchini relish.

At least, that's my sense of things.

Good luck, Jean, with the Mac. I have to admit my experience with Mac is minimal. It can be a real trick sometimes to switch from one operating system to another.

Carol

• mellyofthesouth
    12 years ago

We've been using macs for almost 6 years. It does take a little getting used to. I actually bought the book called "Switching to the Mac" I believe it is part of the missing manual series. Now I have to think hard to do anything on a windows computer.

Anyway, font size is under format in text edit. Click on format in the tool bar, font is the first item on the drop down list. The fly out menu that comes off of font gives the choice of show fonts as the top item. That will give you the font palette allowing you to change all the characteristics. Also available further down the list is the straightforward make larger and smaller choice.

Hope that helps!