Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellen_inmo

Pressure canning mushrooms (not wild)

ellen_inmo
11 years ago

My dehydrator is full of grapes and will be for the next couple days. I found a "couldnt pass up" sale on mushrooms, which I have been dehydrating successfully, and had planned on doing exclusively.

I seem to be apprehensive about pressure canning mushrooms. Perhaps it is because my old Ball Blue Book had said canning was not recommended, yet the newer edition I have has instructions for pressure canning them. I suppose all those years of reading that older book (long before I ever canned anything at all) has it ingrained in my head that this was something in the past that caused problems, maybe?

Is there anything to be especially concerned with pressure canning them? Any precautions or extra safety measures? If I chose to do them, I will follow Ball instructions. But if there is too many precautions, I may actually consider buying a second inexpensive dehydrator, as I've found many times that I wish I had another one for various reasons.I have not used mushrooms in any of my spaghetti sauces also do to being apprehensive.

I trust each of your advice. Some of you here have become familiar with my abilities thus far.

Comments (5)