Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fermented Dilly Beans Storage?

Posted by cannond 10 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 20, 12 at 17:52

Oh, my goodness. I just decanted (or whatever it's called) my 7.5 liter crock of fermented dilly beans, my first ever. These are phenomenal. I've fermented salsa, broccoli, etc., but never beans. I think these beat canned dilly beans hands down, and presumably they're more nutritious if I don't heat process them.

Fermenting is magical.

I started another batch today and I'm wondering...

Can I keep these in my very cool cellar? It's about 50 degrees.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fermented Dilly Beans Storage?

Yes, as long as they stay in the brine, no problem. It's a lactic acid solution, so no safety issues. You will have to keep an eye out for mold, though, if your cellar becomes damp during the cold season.

Carol

o

Cannond,

Could you provide the recipe and a few details on how you fermented your dilly beans? I'm trying to learn more about fermenting.
Thanks,
Michele

o

Michele, Here goes.

I have a Harsch Crock, which makes things easy.
In a 7.5 liter crock, (I think that's roughly 2 gallons) I layered clean green beans with 3 cloves of crushed garlic, a bunch of fresh dill weed and a chopped chili (ghost in this case).

I placed the two stone halves over the beans and poured in the brine till it covered the stones by an inch. The ratio of fine salt to water was 3 tablespoons per quart.

The lid was placed and water filled the channel. Ferment two weeks. This per The Joy of Pickling, Ziedrich.
The new batch has slightly less salt and some of the living brine from the last ferment, which should get it perking quickly. (At least that has been my experience with other ferments.)
Hope this helps.
Deborah

o

Thank you very much Deborah! If I can find some green beans at the Farmers Market tomorrow, I'm going to try a batch! I don't have a Harsch Crock but I do have a Perfect Pickler top for a half gallon Ball jar.
Michele

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here