Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
farmerboybill

Auction scores - any one use alminum stock pots?

farmerboybill
11 years ago

Went to an auction a couple miles away today. Scored a huge 20 quart Stainless stock pot, 8 quart aluminum stock pot, 6 quart tomato scalder, meat grinder, 2 dozen jars, lid wrenches, stainless colander, small meat cleaver, some sort of funnel stand.

Now, I'm wondering if anyone on here uses aluminum stock pots anymore. I had heard they're not safe for the traces of aluminum they leave in food unless they're anodized. A little research online stated their danger is overstated. Still, I've not used one and didn't spend much at the sale for the one I got. Advice?

Comments (9)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Wow! Good deal and all looks in good condition too.

The aluminum pans not only have the "causes alzheimers" hoopla going on about them and all that debate but they do interact with acidic foods and pit them so affecting the flavor and coloring of the foods.

NCHFP supports that warning about using them in cooking or canning acidic foods such as tomatoes, fruits, and foods with vinegar in their basic FAQs.

We had a discussion about this last week here with info links etc. but I can't recall what thread it was in so I'll see if i can find it for you.

Dave

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Here is a link to one recent discussion. If you search 'aluminum pans' on the forum it will pull up a couple of other discussions too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stainless steel vs. aluminum pots

• readinglady
    11 years ago

I don't give the health concerns a lot of credence, but I don't cook in aluminum because it is going to react with anything acidic and leave an unpleasant aftertaste.

I do use an old Aluminum Guardian Service canning kettle as a water bath for small batches of preserves, so they do still have their uses.

Kudos on your purchase. There's real value there, especially that big stainless stockpot. Looks like a Vollrath, and they're a treasure.

Carol

• dgkritch
    11 years ago

I'd just use the aluminum for boiling water, waterbath canning or non-acid foods.
    Good score!

I'm curious if anyone knows the purpose/use of that stand funnel. I've never seen one.

Deanna

• david52 Zone 6
    11 years ago

I'd bet the stand funnel is for filling jars when you need two hands to hold up all those heavy stock pots full of hot stuff.

Before they made those light weight plastic ones.

• Monique_CA
    11 years ago

Through my training, all of our MFP materials say to cook in a non-reactive pan of steel, glass, or ceramic coated.

I think Deanna has the right idea on uses.

• farmerboybill
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It is a Vollrath 4305 - which makes it an "Aluminum Alloy", not Stainless. I bought it for cooking tomatoes and applesauce. Is it gonna be acceptable? I really don't have much use for it beyond that. Well, maybe sweet corn and green beans.

• readinglady
    11 years ago

Darn. I wouldn't risk it. You don't want your tomatoes and applesauce to taste like aluminum.

Carol

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Me neither. I'd use it for a BWB canner if it is deep enough or save it for boiling corn like you said or maybe cooking beans and ham in. Too bad, it's a good looking pot.

Dave