Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
oxo peeler great for peaches

Posted by catherinet z5 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 5, 10 at 18:04

I usually dip my peaches in boiling water, in order to skin them more easily for freezing. It wasn't working very well this year, and I hate heating the kitchen up like that. So I got out my handy-dandy oxo peeler, and it peels the un-dipped peaches sooooo easily. It just takes off a paper-thin amout of skin.
I don't know why I didn't think of this years ago.........but I didn't have an oxo peeler then. It is very sharp and I have the scars to prove it. haha
But its nice to not have to dip the peaches any more. And it goes so much more easily than with a paring knife.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: oxo peeler great for peaches

They work good on a tomato too it you just want to peel a few without heating up a pot of water.

Dave

o

catherine,

Thanks for the tip!

The hot-water dip wasn't working for me very well this year either --- works better on some varieties than others. I don't have an Oxo but I have a pretty good peeler my sister gave me and I tried it in desperation; it did a much better job than I expected. I think I'll invest in an Oxo for next year! I prefer the hot-water dip but it's good to have options....

Z

o

I'll have to try it on tomatoes too.
Another tip.....it works great at cutting fingers too.....so be careful!
I usually try to buy utensils that don't have alot of extra stuff on them (for environmental reasons), but since I've developed alot of arthritis in my hands, the extra stuff on handles really helps now.
Now, if I could just freeze peaches and tomatoes by just looking at them, I'd really be in business! :)

o

catherinenet,

Do you use the Y-shape type or the stick-shape type?

Z

o

I used a ceramic blade peeler and found its works great on everything from carrots to peaches. It's a Y shaped also.
Jon

o

I have one of each, and tend to use the stick one more often.

o

I have a couple of OXO peelers. One of them has a serrated blade and does an amazing job peeling peaches.

o

I went down to Target today and they have 3 OXO PEELERS. one is regular. one is perpendicular Y shape or T shape, and one is called serrated blade for soft fruit and soft veggies like tomatoes and peaches.

Which have people been using?

Who makes the one with the ceramic blade? or where to buy it? or both.

o

There was a little article about testing peelers in the new _Canadian Living_ issue. They recommended one with a really sharp serrated blade for peeling tomatoes and peaches---the brand they mentioned wasn't OXO but it looked just like the serrated-blade OXO does. I'm gonna get me one of those in one brand or another!
Z

o

This is my trusted peeler . It is good in peeling tuber and fruits.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here