Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
outdoor_andy

Pressure canning question on Venting

outdoor_andy
11 years ago

I am new to pressure canning and I have only attempted to do it three times so far. I have a basic 16 qt Presto Pressure canner with the weighted pressure regulator. Everything I read says to wait until you can hear, feel, and see the steam shooting out of the vent, then wait 10 minutes before putting on the regulator.

My question is how long does one typically have to wait for the steam to begin? Every time I have tried to pressure can, the pressure builds to the point of locking the lid. I wait and wait and wait. A steady hard stream of air shoots out the vent. I can feel it and hear it but see nothing. I have waited a little over 20 minutes after lid locks with the stove on high and still nothing. After 20 minutes I gave up waiting and put on the pressure regulator. Things seemed to work, except I have had liquid loss from my jars and I think it may be related to still having air in the pressure canner.

I have a flat top stove if that makes a difference.

So if anyone can tell me about how long it takes to get steam, I would appreciate it. Thanks

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Art Masonry Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars132 Reviews
Loudon County's Hardscape and Landscape Expert in Outdoor Living