Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help canning grape pie filling

Posted by annsy (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 21, 10 at 18:09

Hi,

I'm new to canning (and to this forum!) - I've made and put up a few batches of jam so far this summer. Concord grapes are coming in here in Seattle, and I'd like to try canning my grape pie filling. The recipe calls for grapes, sugar, lemon juice, salt, and... flour. I know that the flour won't work for canning purposes, but I don't know if I should try to substitute ClearJel (once I get my hands on it). Any ideas? And are grapes acidic enough to can in a water bath, anyway?

Thanks!
-Ann

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help canning grape pie filling

This is the recipe I use for my blueberry pie filling that I can. Maybe you can combine your recipe with this one to get the right taste and a safe acidity. I can grape jelly all the time in a water bath, which isn't terribly different from a pie filling. You will have to use ClearJel as you indicated.

Here is a link that might be useful: blueberry pie filling

o
RE: Help canning grape pie filling

Personally, I would just can them without the thickener, and add that to the mix when putting the filling into the pie shell. Then, no issues with either safety or the type of thickener.

Does pectin really thicken a pie filling in the same way as flour, corn starch, or tapioca? I've never tried it, I guess it might work?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here