Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Making soft (not crispy) dried apples

Posted by fearlessem (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 25, 10 at 18:13

Hi folks --

I have a dehydrator and would like to dry some apples from our tree... However the one time I tried it I wound up with very crisp apples (more like chips), not the soft pliable dried apples that I get at our local natural food store. Is there a secret here? Do I just need to cut them thicker / dry for less time? How thick should they be prior to drying?

Thanks,
Emily

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Making soft (not crispy) dried apples

They are sulfured from the stores. You can do a sulfuring if you want to eat that stuff.
Otherwise just dry until pliable, but don't expect the same thing as the store ones. If you leave yours too moist they will mold.
You can dry them less but keep them frozen until you eat them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here