Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cherry tomato salsa

Posted by ekgrows (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 20, 12 at 18:17

Has anybody made salsa with cherry tomatoes? I guess what I'm mostly curious about is the skin. Did you notice the skins in the final product? I realized today I don't have enough salsa canned, and the large tomatoes have slowed down a lot, while the cherries are still going strong. They may be my last chance at canning more salsa. I have sunsugar, black cherry, and super sweet 100's, so I know the salsa will be tasty, just the texture I'm a little concerned about. Thanks for any input :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cherry tomato salsa

Opened a jar last night that was a mix of cherry varieties (Juliet and Sun Gold) with regular tomatoes and yes we noticed the skins on the cherry-types.

It was still great and I'd make it again. But what surprised me was many of the cherries hadn't popped either during the cooking or the processing. Until you bit into them. Kind of a "salsa surprise", gives you salsa with a very different mouth feel. :)

Dave

o

Wife made baked Cheesy-Tomato Enchiladas for supper last night using the rest of the salsa jar as a filling in the tortillas. Great stuff. Would you believe those cherry tomatoes still didn't break until we cut into them!

Dave

o

Thanks Dave! Looks like we have a low of 32 tomorrow night, so if in fact I want anymore salsa, I will have to use cherries. I have some regular tomatoes as well, so will probably be a half and half mix. I will probably half or quarter the cherries.

I had enchiladas last night too! Used the rest of the salsa I had in the fridge (the extras that didn't make it into canning jars) sauteed some peppers, onion, chard, rolled it up with cheese, topped with salsa - yum :)

Thanks again, I'll try to post back my results :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here