Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Golden Gossip Chutney - anyone made it?

Posted by nancedar z7NC (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 11, 12 at 18:20

My peaches were not as plentiful as in previous years so I was looking for another chutney when I saw this on the Bernardin website. The basis of it is carrots. All the usual spices but also a tad bit of tomato paste, plus apples, dates, and malt vinegar instead of cider vinegar. Not sure what the final taste would be though anything with ginger, spice, and mustard seeds suits me for chutney. So, have you made this and did you like it?

Nancy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Golden Gossip Chutney - anyone made it?

So did you make it Nancy? I guess no one else has tried it but it does sound good and the dates would be a new ingredient for me. How did it turn out?

Dave

o
RE: Golden Gossip Chutney - anyone made it?

The post disappeared but here I am a year later with the results. I used apple cider vinegar instead of malt vinegar to be gluten free, used 2 orange habanero instead of the "2 small red peppers" because I thought it needed some more heat. I am about to make it again tomorrow because it was so good. DD likes is on pork tenderloin and DH likes it on cream cheese like you'd do with pepper jelly. I like it as a condiment on cold chicken sandwiches. My friend eats it mixed with olive oil and a dash of lemon for her salads. The dates give a chewy sweet but not plain ol' raisin taste to it. It is really tasty and if you are still curious a year later - yeah, go for it. I'm making a double batch because DS and DDIL want a ton of it for side spike to their fish dishes.
Nancy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here