Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellen_inmo

Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving Two-In-One BBQ sauce

ellen_inmo
10 years ago

Okay, so I made this today, using the Sweet and Sour only additives (doubled the recipe for sweet and sour, bypassing the Stampede recipe, as it says you can do so in the recipe). I gotta tell ya, this flavor is not agreeing with me. I'm in the final cook down stage, and I keep tasting it, thinking maybe as time goes on it'll taste better. I think it was the Soy Sauce that killed it for me. I was anticipating a more traditional "sweet and sour" than how this is finishing out.

I know better than to ask this, because I know that recipes typically cannot be altered at all. But I'm taking a chance and asking anyway. Can I do anything to salvage this batch, making it more sweeter? I've done everything correct and am a stickler for doing everything by the book (Dave whipped me into shape here last summer. ;-)......) Im sure this flavor appeals to plenty out there, but I guess I need a sweeter sauce to suit me. Can anything be done?

Thanks for any responses.

Comments (25)

• malna
    10 years ago

Maybe try a little brown sugar for sweetness? That wouldn't be a problem.

Don't forget the flavors change after processing and setting on the shelf for a while, too (like what happened to my chile sauce last year). I'd be tempted to can it and add something (if you still aren't fond of it) after you open it.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Agree with Malna - adding sugar poses no problem. I too would use brown but either is ok. This assuming "sweeter" will fix it. More honey - as this recipe calls for - or maple syrup would be another option.

But I will stress what she says - shelf storage blends and mellows flavors. That's why we usually recommend making any additions to taste AFTER opening the jars.

I'm not sure how one would define a "traditional" sweet and sour taste - it means many different things to different people, but if sweet isn't the issue but sour is then you can add more vinegar. The end product is supposed to be thin anyway.

Dave

• readinglady
    10 years ago

Brown sugar corrects a multitude of sins so I'm with malna on that one. But you may find after a few months on the shelf that the soy sauce isn't nearly as assertive.

Also, you could boost the pineapple a bit, which would perhaps balance the soy with a more assertive fruit note.

Whatever you do be sure to take notes so that if you like the results you can re-create it. And do consider canning a small jar or two "as-is" so you can determine whether you like the original recipe once it's aged.

Carol

• ellen_inmo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks to both of you! Yes "Sweet n Sour" goes many different directions. For me when I reach for it, it's the "sweet" that I savor. Otherwise, in other foods, sweet isn't what I desire so much. Do you have a suggestion for how much brown sugar to adjust?

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Normally I'd say start with a couple of T at a time then to taste. Since you doubled the recipe (make sure you didn't fail to double one of the ingredients) maybe 1/4 cup?

Keep in mind as the recipe says, this is supposed to be a "seductive" flavored coating, not an "in your face" flavor. :-)

Dave

• ellen_inmo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Carol, you must've posted while I did! Adding more pineapple....that's what makes me nervous as I learned here on the Harvest Forum last year to not do ANYTHING without asking first! LOL! I did just add brown sugar to it, but not too much. I'm going to go ahead an can it. Even if it doesn't suit me, I have plenty of friends whom it will! I see people drowning their foods in lots of Soy sauce and I won't even eat certain Asian foods when dining out, certainly anything with "Teriyaki" (sp) in the title because I find it overpowering. Suggestion for how much more added pineapple??

• ellen_inmo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dave, Im not sure "seducing" my taste buds is what's happened to them! Lol! I added 1/4 cup of brown sugar, and that certainly made an instant change. And, yeah, I'm thinking fruit! Maybe the more pineapple? The sauce is just beautiful, thin, with the chunks here and there of the crushed pineapple when I stir it. I did double check all ingredients when I made it. I was nervous about the Soy when I put it in. For future's sake, if a recipe calls for Soy sauce, can I safely reduce it?

• ellen_inmo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And, just out of curiosity, how would you describe the 'Stampede'-Style sauce?

• malna
    10 years ago

Yes, you can reduce the soy sauce. I'd agree with your original inclination - that's an ingredient that I would sneak up on adding while cooking it down. I like the flavor undertones of soy, but I wouldn't want the "salt" to overwhelm the rest.

After reviewing the recipe for Stampede style, that sounds like it would resemble a Kansas City style sauce with a spicy, sweet molasses-based flavor. Sounds good - I might try that one. I certainly have enough tomatoes :-)

• balloonflower
    10 years ago

I am off the subject of the main question, but you mention that you can't stand regular soy or teriyaki sauces. The main brands are way too salty for me as well, but if you look, there are alternatives that make great marinades without adding so much salt and artificial flavor. Look for ones that are all soy based (you'd be surprised), and reduced salt. Tamari is our favorite brand, and you could give it a try to see if you like it's flavor.

• ellen_inmo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Ballonflower. I guess I've never thought to try different brands of Soy, as I rarely cook with it anyway. Honestly, I've got a fridge full of packets that get me by. ;-). I did not use a good quality soy, just a generic brand.

• malna
    10 years ago

Balloonflower,
    Yep, I use Tamari brand, too. Good stuff.

Ellen,
    I saved this recipe from the University of Idaho Extension Service which might be close to what you are looking for. It sure has sugar in it LOL. (Note - I think there was some discussion here a while back about "doesn't that seem like a lot of ClearJel?" but I honestly don't recall what the comments were):

Mandarin Sauce
    Source:
    Univ of Idaho Extension Service (July 2009)

8 cups tomatoes (scalded, peeled and chopped)
    4 cups onions (cut into chunks)
    2 (20 oz.) cans pineapple tidbits (drain and reserve the juice)
    4 cups green pepper (chunks)
    3 cups sugar (or up to 7 cups as to taste)
    8 tablespoons soy sauce (optional)
    3 cups vinegar (5% acidity)
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup Clear Jelî or Thick Gel
    1/2 cup water

Combine tomatoes, onions, pineapple tidbits, and green pepper chunks in an 8 to 10 quart saucepan. Add 3 cups sugar (or amount to taste), soy sauce, and vinegar; bring to a boil.

Combine 1 cup sugar with the Clear Jelî and mix thoroughly. Add reserved pineapple juice and water; stir until well blended. Stir into boiling liquid, stirring until thickened.

Ladle into pint jars, leaving ý inch of headspace and process immediately in a boiling water canner.

Makes 12 pints

Recommended process time for Mandarin Sauce in a boiling water canner:
    Pints & quarts 30 minutes 0-1000 ft.
    35 minutes 1001-3000 ft.
    40 minutes 3001-6000 ft.
    45 minutes 6001 ft. +

Serving suggestions:
    Fresh grated ginger root can be added at serving time and adds a nice oriental flavor. Add 1 teaspoon per pint or to taste.

This sauce is delicious over chicken, pork and ham dishes. It is also makes good Sweet and Sour Meatballs. Ladle hot sauce over cooked meat and serve with rice.

• dgkritch
    10 years ago

I am very surprised at this thread. I made the same recipe a couple of years ago and thought the sauce was almost overwhelmingly sweet. I always saute bell pepper, onion, carrots and maybe some celery until al dente then pour a pint of sauce in the pan to heat up. Often leftover pork or chicken is added as well, then served over rice. It's still pretty sweet to me.

I've actually added more soy sauce on my plate to balance the sugar. Hmmm???

Different taste buds I suppose, but I love this stuff! Hoping for enough ripe tomatoes to make a couple of batches this year since we've eaten all of the last batch.

Deanna

• ellen_inmo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey, SWEET malna!!! Thank you so much!! This is definitely my next project! And thanks for noting the reference for the recipe. Boy, all of you made me psycho-aware of my "sources" for recipes last summer. I remember and review all our discussions all the time. I've had a very successful canning season this year!

This is just great! Thanks so much.

• malna
    10 years ago

Ah, Deanna, now I remember it was you that made it. Yep, different strokes for different taste buds for sure :-)

Ellen, you're very welcome. Glad I could find it for you in my totally disorganized canning recipe computer files.

• ellen_inmo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Deanna, I had thought it tasted great BEFORE I added the Soy! Perhaps it's a crappy soy?! Or maybe it's just my lack of appreciation for soy. And perhaps my expectations for Asian flavor has been pre-disposed by the Americanized version of Chinese/Japanese/etc flavors. I remember going to a 5-Star Mongolian BBQ restaurant on a date in my early 20's by a guy who wanted to impress me and introduce me to Chinese foods. I hated it!! The soy flavor just killed any taste for the actual food itself. Couldn't get the taste out of my mouth for days. I swore "never again". And years later I went to my first China Buffet and, well, you get the picture. ;-)

• readinglady
    10 years ago

Remember soy sauces differ significantly, so depending upon the brand/type originally used in recipe development the final flavor might have been considerably milder.

If there's an Asian market anywhere in the area you might ask if they ever do "tastings" of their products. Or purchase the smallest possible size until you hit on one that at least isn't so obnoxious.

Pineapple is high-acid so if anything, as long as you continue to maintain a thinner sauce, there's no problem adding it.

On another note, on that Idaho recipe I'd be inclined to reduce the ClearJel by half. That stuff has incredible thickening power and many of the "approved" recipes are just too viscous for my taste.

Alternatively, leave thickening out and plan to thicken if desired once the jar is opened. Personally I think that would be a more versatile alternative - more possibilities for use as a marinade, etc.

• ellen_inmo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks readinglady. That would make sense, as that type of sauce does have different purposes. Like the Thai sauce I made today, it's very thin, but I know how to thicken it for certain things I desire to upon serving. I just love it! Am hoping to have lots more hot peppers to make more! And it's a beautiful color, sparkling in the jars.

Thanks to everyone! The BBQ sauce I made today is being given to a friend to process that likes the flavor, so it didn't go to waste. :-)

• ahbee01
    10 years ago

I looked through my books and I do not have this recipe would anyone be willing to post these recipes? They both sound really interesting to me. My ball book has 400 recipes and no recipe called 2 in one BBQ sauce,
    so maybe they are worded different? TIA,

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

It is page 262 in the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving. Two-In-One Barbeque Sauce. Have that book?

Dave

• ahbee01
    10 years ago

I have the 100th Anniversary addition! Ok maybe it's a newer recipe!!

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

The 100th Anniversary edition is the BBB, the Ball Blue Book, not the Ball Complete Book. The Ball Complete is a big thick book - 448 pages.

The recipe is very long and complex and honestly would take a great deal of time to post so see if you can't borrow the book at the library if you don't want to buy it.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Ball Complete Book

• ahbee01
    10 years ago

I see that my ball book is way different! I'm heading to the library to see if it is there,and if I would want to buy my own copy! Might have to ask for it for Christmas!!! Thanks!

• canfan
    10 years ago

I canned up the Mandarin Sauce recipe posted here and I am really happy with the results. I did reduce the sugar in the initial part to 2 cups. Also for the clear gel I reduced the sugar to 1/2 a cup and used vinegar instead of water (along with the liquid form the canned pineapple. I had a cup of sauce left after canning so I poured it over some home made meatballs that I pulled from the freezer. The whole family was happy with the flavor. We look forward to having more of this throughout the coming year.