Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bebet_gw

Annies salsa sorry

bebet
13 years ago

I know how many people have been asking. So I am hoping I can just get a link. I know I can use frozen tomatoes to make the salsa. But I have looked all over and cannot find the most recent recipe for the BWB method. I do not have a pressure canner and I can`t figure it out the other way. So if anyone can please just point me in the direction for the BWB method, I would be so Greatful as would my DH. I spent the last hour looking and can`t find it.

Thank you so much,

Comments (33)

• nancyofnc
    13 years ago

Google "Gardenweb Annie's salsa" and you get
    http://www.thathomesite.com/forums/load/recipex/msg0821121827919.html?8

She is very tired of answering questions about her famous salsa so just do a Google for it including "gardenweb".

Nancy

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

Here you go. This will likely be copy 250 of the recipe posted here. Can't imagine the search not pulling it up so suggest you print it out or save it to your own computer file.

Dave

ANNIE'S SALSA
    8 cups tomatoes, peeled, chopped and drained
    2 1/2 cups chopped onion
    1 1/2 cups chopped green pepper
    3 - 5 chopped jalapenos
    6 cloves minced garlic
    2 tsp cumin
    2 tsp pepper
    1/8 cup canning salt
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    1/3 cup sugar
    1 cup apple cider vinegar
    16 oz. tomato sauce
    16 oz tomato paste

Mix all ingredients, bring to a boil, boil 10 minutes. Pour into hot jars, process pints for 15 minutes.

Makes 6 pints

• bebet
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you and sorry. Priniting it now. I did search. Sorry I am not great at computers. Once again Thank you and Sorry.

• zabby17
    13 years ago

bebet, Please let us know how you like it!

You are very welcome here. I'd have been happy to repost the recipe for you too, though Dave has been kind enough to already do so.

Good luck, and do enjoy it!

Best wishes,

Zabby

• amysrq
    13 years ago

I still think Annie's salsa should have it's own dedicated board! ;-)

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

I still think Annie's salsa should have it's own dedicated board! ;-)

If everyone would just make the recipe as it was written and approved there would be no need for all the discussions about it. Instead everyone keeps trying to get all sorts of modifications to it approved. They keep trying to turn it into THEIR salsa.

I think that if it was just called Salsa or Salsa #1 everyone would be happy to just make it as is. But since it has a person's name on it they figure it isn't subject to the usual rules; that they should be able to do as they want. ;(

I doubt Annie knew what she was letting herself in for.

Dave

• zabby17
    13 years ago

Personally, I think one of the best things about a forum like this is that it allows us to discuss ideas and share thoughts, including ones about adaptations of recipes.

The great thing is that nobody ever HAS to answer anything they don't want to, or even read a thread if its subject doesn't interest them or is one they feel they're tired of.

This forum puts real canners (harvesters and preservers of all kinds!) in touch with one another, and allows us to discuss our adventures and thoughts.

Annie is a real person who was kind enough to share a recipe she developed to her taste and was able to have approved for safety. I for one am very appreciative of her generosity! (Even if it does mean I now have to can 75 jars of it --- of, yes, MY slight adaptations to it --- every year or face the wrath of my family, LOL!)

Other real people are welcome to ask about it, repost it, NOT repost it, discuss changes to it, answer questions about it with their own opinions, NOT answer questions about it if they don't want to, etc.

I'm also always glad to see new folk check out the forum, and happy to answer a question that's been asked before if someone's having trouble finding the answer. People have been very patient with me sometimes when I'm finding something difficult.

Long live discussion and interaction!

Long live Annie and her salsa!

May bebet's salsa canning be a great success!

Cheers all,

Z

• readinglady
    13 years ago

I really can't remember any occasion where Annie expressed grumpiness or said she was tired of posting her salsa. She's justifiably proud of it.

I do understand the confusion. There are so many salsa posts with only the more recent versions documenting the rescinded approval for pressure canning. Even with a Google search you would have to be quite careful to check the date of posting and verify.

It's too bad we can't "tag" the favorite recipes thread and keep it permanently pinned to the top of the thread list.

Carol

• kayskats
    13 years ago

Amen, Zabby and Carol.
    Finding the latest, most up-to-date version of a popular recipe such as Annie's Salsa is quite difficult ... more so with the search engine on this site.
    Annie has never been anything but gracious about sharing her recipes and insights... in fact in one of her most recent posts she seemed to be anticipating some changes in the amount of acidity to be added. So, I for one will be on the lookout for the changes. Thank You, Annie!!!!

Maybe it's because the summer has been hot and some folks have pushed themselves to get everything preserved, but there does seem to be an unusual amount of grumpiness sneaking onto these threads.
    If anyone is tired of answering questions, I suggest it may be time to step back and let someone else answer.
    Although I am certianly not as knowledgeable as many of the long-termers about techniques, but I do know how to search and will be most happy to help.
    Kay

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

Sneaking? No, I'm not "sneaking" it in. I'm right up front about it. Grumpiness has it's place just as do tact, firm politeness, and spoon feeding infants. Especially of late here given some of the ad nauseam debates we have had to go through lately. And it isn't just me either.

I personally posted the recipe 2x just last week. I do it almost every time a question on it comes up. Have no problems with posting it for bebet or anyone else. But my 250 number above was a bit high - there are only 235 posts on it that the search pulls up. But if you scan the dates on the posts there are only 12 posts/discussions in 2010 so that number is easy to scan quickly. Do I wish the search engine was better? Sure. But let's be fair and not lay it all off on the search engine.

And as to my claims made above about all the endless modification discussions that already exist and which would only be compounded 10 fold if allowed and Annie's possible feelings on the matter, I refer you to
    Annie's very polite comment in this post from just 10 days ago.

On her worst day she's much more tactful than I am on my best day. Call it a "man thing" if you want. But I will lay money on the fact that she cringes just as much I do every time we see yet another "Annie's Salsa question" top the message board.

Dave

• lpinkmountain
    13 years ago

The Gardenweb search engine does not always work, AND it doesn't allow Boolean searches, so if you get 235 hits you may not be able to scan thru them and find what you want. I find the search engine passable at best for finding things. Better probably to use Google, but not everyone has great searching skills.

If posting something makes you grumpy, I suggest NOT posting and letting someone who doesn't mind reposting answer the question. Life is too short!

• amysrq
    13 years ago

Oh boy, I hope no one thought my comment was grumpy. I have never seen a board with so many threads dedicated to the same single item. It is legendary! :-)

I was a newbie to Annie's Salsa this year and I agree with Carol that one really does need to be careful and check dates. The number of posts one must sift through to find the correct recipe is overwhelming for a first-timer to low-acid canning.

• calliope
    13 years ago

I remember doing a run of it last year, and I had copied both the original and the revised version of it. The ingredients were out and the tools and when I went to my file, I could only find the first version. So, I was reluctant to 'ask' again for the new one because of the frequent "search for it" comments but had remembered that the acidity requirements had been changed, and it was also not tested for pressure canning in it's new incarnation.

I searched for a flipping half hour, through all the hits and wading through discussions on substitutions, the old directions, and any other thread with the words Annie's salsa in it. If I had not hanging around this forum a lotd reading the time the revised version had come out, and I hit an old post, I'd not even know it had been revised I'd have gone no farterh in my search........ Would I? But, I was intimidated to come out and ask if someone would please post me a link to the newly approved SAFE way to fix it. So people who are so precise about safe anning.........this one could easily fall through the cracks.

It's not always about too lazy to search, or not keeping copies. When something as popular as this salsa floats around a board, it doesn't make it easier to search for it........it gets a lot harder. Maybe at the beginning of each year we need to post "Annie's Salsa (fill in the blanks for the date) and when somebody asks just mutter those few words and make life easier for them.

• CA Kate z9
    13 years ago

I have to admit that I finally made -- and BWB canned -- Annie's Salsa to top off some tamales a friend's mother had just made. I wanted to start out with the original recipe and almost gave up THE SEARCH from all the wading that had to be done. I finally googled it and that gave me the original recipe plus changes.

I don't know what happened, but I measured exactly and ended up with 8 & 1/2 pints instead of the 6. It tastes great so I'm not complaining.

Thanks Annie for sharing your great recipe.

• zabby17
    13 years ago

westelle,

Depends on the type of tomato for the most part. The more salsa the better, right?

Yum.

bebet,

I hope you're still out there and will tell us how your canning went!

Best wishes,

Z

• prairie_love
    13 years ago

This is precisely why I seldom participate in this forum any longer. It used to be one of my favorites and there certainly are some extraordinarily helpful and kind people here (Linda Lou, Carol, Zabby, Annie, to name only a few). But the condescending tone used by some and the constant harping on how time-consuming it is to post something because the OP didn't do a search even though many times the OP says they did do a search, gets very old.

Many posters here are very nervous about making a mistake when canning. Even if a poster finds an Annie's salsa recipe, who can blame them for wanting to be absolutely certain that they have the correct, most recent version? Who can blame a novice canner for wanting to be absolutely certain that substituting this for that is okay?

Instead of driving novice preservers away by unpleasant and unkind comments, how about helping them build their confidence even if it means holding their cyber-hand while they repeat every question that has been asked by every other novice?

As stated several times above, if you don't want to respond to a thread, DON'T! It's simple to just skip a thread.

My sincere thanks to those who have been such wonderful guides and mentors. I truly appreciate all the help you've given me over the years.

• prairie_love
    13 years ago

I should add - Dave, I think you have a great knowledge and understanding of food preservation and you have a lot to share with others. I understand that you are concerned with safety and proper practice. I'm not sure you realize that you can come across as condescending and impatient. I do not call it a "man thing", but I not sure you realize how insecure many people are about their questions and how easy it is to intimidate people so that they don't ask more questions.

• bebet
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi

I just wanted to Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I did not mean to start anything. I promise to search better next time. I did make the salsa. Although the recipe I remembered had Lime juice. But did not dare try it after Dave`s instructions. I had made it a 2 yrs ago but last year we had no tomatoes due to to much rain.And this yr had to many LOL. It seems very good. But I seem to remember it being, Not sure how to describe it, maybe sweeter or tangy. But needless to say it was loved as is by the DH and kids. So Thank you once again.

• sharonann1
    13 years ago

Bebet,

In salsa recipes, you can substitute bottled lemon or bottled lime juice for vinegar, but NOT the other way round. (NO subbing vinegar for lemon or lime juice).

So, you can make the salsa with lime juice next time instead of the vinegar.

This is a safe substitution as lemon/lime juice is a stronger acid than 5% vinegar.

Sharon

• bebet
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, I thought it was something like that. But as I said when searching I could not find it. And I was not about to ask again after the first time. But I can still get tomatoes. so maybe I will make another batch using the lime vin combo. Thanks again

• zabby17
    13 years ago

Oh, bebet, I'm so glad you made it and enjoyed it.

Probably you remember the flavour of lime juice, which, as Sharon says, is fine to use instead.

I just made a double batch of Annie's salsa myself, with a mix of cider vinegar, lime juice, and then a little lemon juice because I ran out of lime juice! The jars are cooling on my counter and boy do they look good.

I had the same thing with tomatoes---not enough last year and now I can't keep up! Going to put some in the freezer today because I have to go away for a few days and I don't want to waste them.

Happy canning.

Zabby

• jillf
    13 years ago

I'm just a long time lurker, but I'd like to thank everyone here for all the information I have received from this board in the last two years. It doesn't matter to me if the answers seem grouchy or friendly, I still learn something and appreciate the time that all of you spend educating us. I joined today to ask this- is it possible to make the recipe into a sticky? Not sure if this is do able I don't know how exactly these things work. Just a thought. I know the recipe has to change occasionally according to the reccomendations. Thanks again to all of you for your time and patience.

• springschel
    13 years ago

Oh shoot! I thought I had the most recent version, but I must have had the original version. This is the first time I've ever made salsa, and the first time I've ever pressure canned anything.

So, I pressure canned my salsa last Monday (9/20). I followed the recipe exactly, except I used 15 lbs of pressure for 30 min, because I'm at 6000+ ft. Will the salsa be safe? If not, is it too late to freeze it?

I have been prepping ingredients to make another batch of Annie's Salsa, now I know to Water Bath Can it instead.

Thank you :)

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

springschel - yes your salsa is safe. If you are going to switch to using a BWB then please note in the recipe above that it calls for 1 cup of acid. The old PC recipe - now discontinued -was just 1/3 cup.

• springschel
    13 years ago

Thanks Dave!

I was hoping you would respond. I greatly value your posts and feel that you are on my short list of people I feel are experts and provide the safest and most current advice. I did notice that I need 1 cup vinegar for the BWB salsa, I was planning to use bottled lime juice or a mixure of Lime juice/apple cider vingar to = 1 cup. Thanks for the reminder though.

I have not prepared my next batch of salsa yet. I've prepared the peppers, onion, jalapeno, and garlic....now I'm knee deep in a bushel of romas I purchased at the farmers market yesterday.

Which way do you prefer your salsa? BWB or pressure canned?

BTW, Dave, you are one of the reasons I took the plunge and purchased a pressure canner. I read your posts on the Presto 16qt canner from Walmart and felt I could do this.

Thank you.

• growinidaho
    13 years ago

I have been waiting patiently for a year to make Annies Salsa, and I'm still waiting. I wanted to grow all my own veggies for it. The first post mentions its ok to use frozen tomatoes. I had to pick and freezer all my peppers. The tomatoes are soooo slow here. So I am asuming I can make the salsa with all frozen veggies??
    Also is the salsa just as good fresh following the recipe EXACTLY or should I reduce the acid? Just curious while waiting for my tomatoes to get ripe! Thanks!!

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

Which way do you prefer your salsa? BWB or pressure canned?

Thanks springschel! :) We prefer to pressure can our salsa. Several reasons. First because we have several pressure canners and usually have one of them going at the time needed so it is convenience and we also prefer the resulting texture, not to mention the added safety aspects wife and I prefer. But it is just a matter of personal taste mostly. Good for you! getting the PC. It opens a whole new world of canning. Next thing you know you'll have more than 1 of them going at the same time just like us. ;)

growinidaho - several have posted in the past that they eat so much of it while making it per the recipe that little is left over for canning. ;) We always make sure there is at least 1/2 a jar extra left in the pot for fresh eating. It never makes it to the jar though.

You can make it with all frozen ingredients but you might want to drain it a bit more as the thawed veggies will be soupier.

Dave

• growinidaho
    13 years ago

Thanks Dave...you are always helpful! I am watching my orange tomatoes! And the green ones...ugh!

• tracydr
    13 years ago

How about someone make FAQs of the salsa, hab jelly and apple pie jam?

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

Sorry but admin hasn't allowed any new FAQs to be posted for many years now, not since iVillage bought the site. All the existing FAQs on the forums were made while Spike still owned GW.

And as the regulars on the forums that do have FAQs can tell you, no one ever reads them anyway. ;)

Dave

• annie1992
    13 years ago

Just for the record, I'm glad everyone loves that salsa and I'm more than happy to share the recipe, it was the long and involved process of getting it "approved" that made me so excited I HAD to post it somewhere!

I'm also happy to answer questions about it if I'm on line, but my daughter is getting married in THREE WEEKS. I made 150 jars of that salsa and some apple butter for favors, I've altered the wedding dress and I'm going to bake and decorate the wedding cake. I have my own dress to hem and I haven't even bought shoes yet!

So, if I seem short tempered and crabby, bear with me, it'll all be over soon...

Annie

• lpinkmountain
    13 years ago

Cooked salsa recipes are OK to eat fresh, but they are designed to be cooked so don't capitalize the most on fresh tastes. I would use a fresh salsa recipe, they call for much less vinegar or lime/lemon juice so the fresh vegetable and herb tastes show through more. Not better, just different, IMHO. For the record, I eat almost exclusively jarred salsa, since I live alone and the fresh stuff is not worth the trouble for just me and even if I made it it would go bad and go to waste before I could eat it up.

• kayskats
    13 years ago

lpinkmountain

I don't live alone, but I'm the only one eating salsa, gazpacho and the like. So I've recently turned to freezing in 8 or 12 oz cups/jars. Working well, taste is fresh and I don't have to use bottled lime juice.

There's a great gazpacho recipe in Ellie Topps "Small Batch" -- she purees, so the veggies are smooth not mushy from freezing. She also has several freezer salsa recipes.

kay