Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Well, it ought to be tasty!

Posted by heather1970 utahzn5 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 14, 09 at 18:37

I was preparing a pot of apples to make applesauce today. I remembered seeing in the freezer an 8 oz container of strawberries that I had cut up and froze with some sugar. I decided to chuck those in the apples because the freezer was getting crowded. AFTER I thawed it in the microwave for a minute and dumped it in the apples I realized it was really a container of strawberry freezer jam!
So far it all smells divine and I imagine it is going to taste pretty good too. I just wonder if it might thicken up a bit, and hopefully it is not too sweet.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Well, it ought to be tasty!

Hard to tell, even though there is 'pectin', both added from the berries and natural in apples. It may just be a sauce and lose the jel set. Can them, and wait a few weeks to see if they set up again. Probably a 70% of no set however. Freezer items labels??

o

We had the leftovers at dinner tonight. Was a tad sweet, but we liked it.
Yes, rational people would put labels on their jams, wouldn't they? I usually write on the lid, don't know why I didn't for that container.

o

If the mixture is too sweet, you can open a jar, add a bit of acid blend and stir it in. That way it will help to give you bit more fruit flavor as opposed to cloying sugar. I use teh blend in all my jams and jellies as well as in some fruit drinks that are made from Crystal Light.

Here is a link that might be useful: Acid blend source

o

Rational? Heather, you are talking about rabid renegade canners here, LOL. We don't need no labels.....ahem. Well, I do, but that's another story altogether.

Actually, that mixture sounds like it would be pretty good, something the grandkids would like a lot. Thanks for the idea, even if it was accidental!

Annie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here