Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blheron

Recipe for uncooked (like freezer jam) blackberry syrup?

blheron
11 years ago

I've Googled for hours, searched Garden Web, called the County Extension Svs, called the Certo company and can't find a single person who can tell me how to make Blackberry Syrup using the same method as freezer jams. I know it can't be that difficult, but I'm not one to "experiment" much.

I'd really like the "fresh" flavor over boiling the fruit. Has anyone ever made this or have any suggestions? I have the berries screened/sieved and ready to go so can't wait much longer. I really didn't think finding a recipe would be this difficult :o( .

Thanks!

Linda (with the blue hands!)

Comments (4)

• JohnDeereGal
    11 years ago

8 c blackberries
    6 c water divided
    1 Tbsp grated lemon zest
    3 c. sugar
    2 Tbsp lemon juice

Combine berries, 2 C water and zest Bring to a gentle boil over med heat for 5 min.

Transfer to a dampened jelly bag or a strainer lined with several layers of cheesecloth and set over a deep bowl. Let drip 2 hrs.

Combine sugar remaining water and bring to a boil over med high heat until 230 degrees. Add berry juice, increase to high heat bring to a boil for 5 minutes stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice.

At this point, my book says ladle into jars, you could freeze instead.

• readinglady
    11 years ago

If you're looking for a freezer jam - type recipe, all I can suggest is to reduce the commercial pectin. You might try reducing by half to see what consistency you end up with.

Alternatively, you could go ahead and make freezer jam then when you wish syrup gently thin some with a bit of warm water. That way you have jam and syrup, depending upon your preference at any given time.

Or, just freeze seedless puree with a bit of sugar and use that as a sauce.

Carol

• blheron
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks JohnDeereGal and Carol, your suggestions are appreciated. I'm really surprised Certo doesn't have a recipe for this.

I read where someone else used the regular recipe for jam but increased the amount of berries so I decided to go for it. Of course she was talking about cooked jam, but she said if the recipe called for 3 cups of berries, she added an extra 2 cups (total 5). I usually make a double batch, but decided to try a single first.

The Certo recipe calls for 2 cups of berries so I added an extra 1-1/3 cups. I also added just a dash of vanilla extract. I figured the extra berries would be pretty tart. Other than that I followed the freezer jam recipe.

I won't know for sure until tomorrow, it needs to set up for 24 hours. BUT...we couldn't wait! Had pancakes for dinner and tried some. YUM! I compared the jam I made to the syrup and the syrup is definitely a bit more tart but the slight vanilla undertone was surprisingly good. Still thin though--tomorrow I hope it thickens just a bit.

Thanks again, this will make awesome Christmas gifts!

Linda

• readinglady
    11 years ago

The pectin needs sugar to set up and the additional berries throw the balance of sugar+acid+pectin off, so if you find it's not thick enough, a little bit of additional sugar might improve things.

This really is a play-it-by-ear thing. The other option, since you're not really looking for a traditional syrup is to prepare the fruit base and then thicken to the desired degree with ClearJel, which is freezer-stable.

Another option is to use some honey in lieu of a portion of the sugar, if you have some mild honey which won't overpower the berry flavors. Honey doesn't set up with pectin the way granulated sugar does and also adds water.

Carol