Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ekgrows

Italian Beef

ekgrows
10 years ago

Okay - so while reading a post that I would like to NOT reply on, I saw mention of Italian beef. I am from Chicago, and I know the real deal! This recipe comes closest to what you would find around here, and is delicious! But like everything else - I tweak the recipe a bit. Instead of water, I use beef broth, cut way back on the salt. During the last hour of cook time, I remove the roast, thinly slice it, and return to the pot. (italian beef is NOT shredded!!!) And for that last hour, add sliced bell peppers, or some of my canned pickled hot peppers or pepperoncini! Delish! Oh - and this recipe works great with other beef roasts, and venison roasts too.

Happy Saturday Everyone!!!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/slow-cooker-italian-beef-for-sandwiches/

Comments (9)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

(italian beef is NOT shredded!!!)

Didn't mean to step on any toes with my shredded recipe on the other thread. :-) But I assume you noticed that the recipe you linked calls for shredding too?

Beef broth definitely rather than water and reduce the salt (the broth is salty enough) but I have to have those peppers cooked in with the beef for much longer than just an hour for best peppery flavor.

But either way it is great stuff for a meal and even better on day 2!

Dave

• cannond
    10 years ago

I have this cooking now and the aroma is wonderful. I didn't have Italian dressing mix, so I used herbs de Provence and added oregano and red pepper flakes.

I used store bought jarred peppers, which won't be as good as Dave's brined. My own peppers just didn't do well this year. They just stand there making green leaves and no fruit. The aren't buggy or sick...I can't figure it out.

I can't buy decent kaiser rolls around here so I'll have to make them.

Do you put cheese on the finished sandwich? Provolone? Mozzarella? Romano?

Deborah

• ekgrows
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL Dave - I know my recipe calls for it, and that's why I mentioned it. You just will not find shredded italian beef in any restaurant around here! I actually finally acquired a slicer, so am looking forward to getting REALLY thin slices. Yay!

And sorry to be late Deborah, but normally I just eat it with hot and sweet peppers, but mozzarella is a yummy addition. Oh - and I dip my bread (usually french or italian crusty bread) in the juice. Heaven!!! I so have to make some soon. Crockpot season is coming!

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

It's kind of what I call "Italian pot roast" (made up recipe, like pot roast but with basil, oregano, garlic and tomatoes) - I use stewed tomatoes and bell peppers and onions, serve with pasta but with beef sliced (not shredded). I've never heard of Italian sliced beef sandwich. But I'm going to have to try this - I've got a lot of pickled peppers from 2011 we just don't seem to eat, DH and DS love "grinders" (usually Italian cold cuts) with hot peppers. Of course DD doesn't eat pot roast or pasta sauce anyway so it doesn't matter that she won't eat the sandwich.

Just wondering - if you're using the dried spices anyway, what does the Italian dressing packet add? Should you just double the spices if you don't have the seasoning?

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

I used store bought jarred peppers

We have used them too with very good results. Pepperochinis especially. Just dump the whole jar in brine and all.

Cheese I take a pass on but wife and grandkids like the mozzarella on them. Left overs, even cold, are great too.

Dave

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

My recipe - posted in the other thread - doesn't use the Italian dressing packet. And sorry but it is nothing like Italian Pot Roast. It is only eaten as a sandwich on crusty rolls with the juice for dipping and never served as a topping on rice or noodles. And it has no bell peppers, no onions, no tomatoes.

It is any cut of beef roast slo-cooked for 8-12 hours with 1 T of dried mixed Italian Seasonings (a commonly sold blend), 1 can of Swanson's Beef Broth, and 1 jar of pickled pepperochinis with juice or the equivalent amount of fermented pickled hot peppers or mixed banana and pepperochini peppers.

Italian Beef sandwiches are to Chicago what Philly Steak and Cheese sandwiches are to Philadelphia. Both famous nationwide.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Italian Beef sandwich photos

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

I don't serve the pot roast on top of the pasta, but on the side. But the sandwich sounds really good - I've been to Philly and of course had to try a real steak and cheese, but never heard of Italian beef sandwich. I've been through Chicago (O'Hare) but never TO Chicago, or really anywhere in the middle of the country (west of Ohio that is).

I want to try this ASAP now - just have to figure when I can get all the ingredients (I think I have a roast in the freezer, but no rolls, and I'm not sure about beef broth). DS loves au jus as well as hot peppers, so this sounds like something the guys will really enjoy.

• cannond
    10 years ago

Dave, we ate this last night for dinner. I found a Kaiser roll recipe on the King Arthur Flour site and used the shaping from Chow site. It was a smash hit. My husband now thinks I set the moon; he doesn't realize how little work it entailed.

Great Recipe!
    Deborah

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Glad to hear it was a success with your family. Been a favorite in ours for many, many years.

Dave