Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathyb912_in

Sungold Tomato Sauce (reprint from old thread)

While combing through the Harvest forum for cherry tomato ideas, I found an old thread from 2005 (linked below) with lots of great suggestions. About 2/3 through the thread, CindyLouWho posted this recipe for Sungold Tomato Sauce. Cindy, I don't know if you're still around the forum but THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! This is seriously one of the best things I've ever eaten. I nearly melted into a puddle on the floor after having it with pasta for dinner tonight.

I know many of us are struggling to use all of our cherry tomatoes this time of year -- mine are taking over my kitchen! -- so hopefully no one will mind my reposting this recipe to give more of us a chance to enjoy it.

From CindyLouWho's original post, Aug 15, 2005:

I use this recipe for Sungold's because there is virtually no prep. I just rinse them and dump them in the pot (don't even cut them):

2.5 cups sungolds
1 stick butter
3 Tbs celery finely chopped
3 Tbs onion finely chopped
3 Tbs carrots finely chopped
2 tsp salt
1/4 cup sugar

Add all ingredients and simmer for 1 hour. Let cool slightly and blend to a creamy consistency (I use a stick blender right in the pot).

So easy and unbelievably good. It's actually so decadent that sometimes I halve the butter and use oil instead, but it's not nearly as good.

It freezes really well and I use it for everything--pasta sauce, pizza sauce, dip for veggies, etc. Sometimes, we even eat it as a "cream" soup.

Back to me: This recipe made about 1.75 cups of sauce, and I figured out the calories at 75 calories per 1/8 cup. (An 1/8 cup nicely covered a serving of cooked pasta, kind of like an alfredo sauce - a little goes a long way.)

Thanks again, Cindy!

Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Original Cherry Tomato Thread

Comments (5)