Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pickled Banana pepper recipe for refigeration

Posted by bucktales (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 30, 08 at 19:25

I'd like to make a jar or two of pickled banana peppers. The last time I made them they were mushy. I am not making enough where I really need to can them.... so I will just refrigerate a few jars. Does anyone have a good recipe? I searched but did not locate any.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pickled Banana pepper recipe for refigeration

About all you can do is mix the distilled white vinegar and pickling salt to TASTE. You could add up to about 15% water. Slice, or at least deseed the peppers. Then pack the jar(s) with them and pour in the room temp brine that has ben tasted. As an added tang, a couple of cut up cloves of garlic can be added as well. If you want a sweeter brine, you can add a little sugar to taste. A recipe isn't really necessary unless it was meant for home canning. These peppers are quite tender, so the addition of some Pickle Crisp, or food grade calcium chloride will help keep them a bit firm a bit longer. ANY heat applied will turn these to mush. Thats the reason I use a vacuum process for my also very tender pepperoncini peppers. They get no heat either and I am still enjoying 3 year old quart jars that are still quite crisp. My brine is full strength 5% whiet vinegar and pickling salt to taste. As you mentioned, these should be stored in the fridge at all times.

o

• Posted by kayskats 7 (usda) 8 (arbor da (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 30, 08 at 23:23

here's Linda Ziedrich's (joy of pickling) recipe for bell or pimentos .. I think bananas could be used
Refrigerator Pickled Peppers
2 pounds bell or pimento peppers, preferably of mixed colors, cut into strips or 1 to 1 1/2-inch squares
1 large celery stalk with leaves, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tbsp fennel seeds
1 bay leaf
3 cups water
1 l/2 cups white wine vinegar
2 l/2 tbsps pickling salt

In a large bowl, toss the peppers with the celery, arlic and fennel seeds. Pack this mixture with the bay leaf into a 2-quart jar.
Combine the water and vinegar, and dissolve the salt in the liquid. Pour the brine over the vegetables. ap the jar and refrigerate. The peppers will be ready in about 8 days and will keep well for 6 to 8 weeks in the refrigerator.

Makes 2 quarts.

o

Bell and pimento peppers are a lot meatier than a banana pepper, unless they are some kind of strain that has a thick flesh. If heat is used to pickle these in brine, they will get quite mushy. You probably wouldn't need any heating of any brine, if they are just stored in the fridge. You can always give them a try for yourself. I have been canning with my vacuum process for several years now, and the pepperoncini have remained very firm and crisp for well over a year at room temp storage in sealed jars.

o

• Posted by kayskats 7 (usda) 8 (arbor da (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 1, 08 at 8:30

I posted the above recipe because it does not call for heat of any kind
Kay

o

I just came in from the garden with another bowl full of small Bell Peppers, and had intended to start a thread asking about how to pickle them. I guess I don't need to. Thanks for all the advice to bucktales because I'll be using it too.

o

resurrecting an old thread because it's that time of the year...Pepper time!

ksrogers post above was very helpful in dealing with the overabundance of banana peppers this year. I made up a marinade according to k's recs and the peppers turned out very delicious. Used garlic, black peppercorns and a few whole allspice for flavoring. No chance of them "going off" - we are eating them up too quickly :) Kuddos to ksrogers!

Linda

o

Oops! I forgot - we also added a sliced, seeded Jalapeno and a few halved Thai peppers to the mix for heat. Perfect!!

o

ksrogers You mention a vacuum process for certain types of peppers. I would be interested in learning more about this. I want to do a small batch of hot hungarian for my husband, but each time I try they turn to mush from the heat. Could you point me in the right direction to learn more abouth this?

Thanks so much!!

o

ksrogers is long gone from this forum and can't answer questions any longer. He was the master of detail, pickles, jams, sausage, equipment, etc. Hopefully someone else can answer this question in lieu of Ken.
Oh yes, Happy Birthday ksrogers. If you ever want to come back, you would be more than welcome by at least me.
Jim in So Calif

o

Ken had a homemade, rather complex vacuum system set up, something that isn't commonly available. But if you are only making a small batch as you said, use one of the safe approved recipes, and keep them in the fridge then no processing or vacuum sealing is needed.

See NCHFP for the preparation instructions, also the Ball Blue Book.

Dave

o

Thanks for the responses. I have been lurking and reading, just wanted to make sure I am doing it right. Been canning for over 50 years and I know that things progress. I just had never heard of that kind of preservation. Thanks to all of you for making this forum the best it can be.

Diane

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here