Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canning pickled garlic?

Posted by rosieo z6/7 NC (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 25, 12 at 19:28

I need to pickle about 20lbs of peeled garlic cloves. Both the BBB and The Complete Book give recipes for pickled garlic. But they both call for straight vinegar. I'd like to use a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water, just like when I make dill pickles. Then the garlic won't be so sour and it would be more versatile for cooking.

Would that be safe? Or do you have an approved recipe for canning pickled garlic that doesn't call for straight vinegar? I'm scared they'll be so sour they won't taste good. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canning pickled garlic?

Far as I know the only approved pickled garlic calls for straight undiluted vinegar because garlic is so low acid and so high on the possible botulism index list.

The 50/50 mix of water and vinegar, even for cucumbers and other vegetable pickles, is the minimum approved ratio and a higher ratio of vinegar to water is preferred for increased safety.

I know some folks will pickle garlic in an 80% vinegar solution but I wouldn't be comfortable going any lower than that myself.

Personally my taste buds don't find pickled garlic to be too vinegary, especially if you use red wine vinegar (5%) but an alternate option is freezing it in oil and you might find that flavor better. Check out the link below for more suggestions.

Just something to consider.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - Safe Methods for Preserving Garlic

o

You can also just freeze the unpeeled cloves. Really easy and no vinegar flavor for cooking later.

Linked to the many options from Oregon State Extension below.

Deanna

Here is a link that might be useful: OSU Preserving Garlic

o

You can also just freeze the unpeeled cloves. Really easy and no vinegar flavor for cooking later.

Linked to the many options from Oregon State Extension below.

Deanna

Here is a link that might be useful: OSU Preserving Garlic

o

As you can see from the pickled garlic in the OSU document Deanna posted, sugar is included to soften the vinegar. Using a less harsh vinegar than distilled (i.e. wine vinegar or apple cider - anything 5%) and a measure of sugar (doesn't have to be that much) will result in a milder pickled product.

Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here