Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathy_in_washington

Bread & Butter Jalapenos -- was Candied Jalapenos

JRSlick (Jay) had a recipe a couple of days ago for Bread & Butter Pickled Jalapenos. That intrigued me, so I bought the required 4 pounds, and other ingredients and want to start them tomorrow.

I have a question, though: Because I don't eat Jalapenos (husband does) I don't know if I'm supposed to take all of the seeds from the sliced peppers. Also don't know if I use a White Vinegar or Cider Vinegar. Jay mentions SLICING the peppers and onions, then mentions CHOPPED, and lastly mentions putting them through the FOOD PROCESSOR. So I'm confused. B&B pickles normally are slices -- and this sounds like it might be a relish when he mentions chopping and/or using the food processor.

If anyone (or Jay) knows about these, or has made them, I'd love to hear. Here's the copied recipe and notes Jay made:

"I know they are not Candied Jalapenos, but they are really good. I send them by the case to my Uncle in Texas. He can't get enough of them. Jay

Here is a great canning recipe for Jalapenos. I probably made over 50 pints last year.

Recipe: Bread and Butter Jalapenos

This makes a very tasty and spicy addition to almost any meal.

Bread and Butter Jalapenos

4 lbs jalepeno peppers

2 lbs onions

3 cups vinegar

2 cups sugar

2 Tbs mustard seed

2 tsp turmeric

2 tsp celery seed

1 tsp ginger

Wash and cut jalapenos and onions into thin slices and cold pack into jars (I would suggest a pair of rubber gloves for handling jalapenos, personal experience!). I usually chop all the onions and pepper and dump in a 2 gallon ziptop bag, then mix. Place remaining ingredients in large saucepot and bring to a boil. Pour hot mixture into jars,leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Adjust caps. Process 10 minutes in boiling water

bath. Yield: about 7 Pints.

I always make 1.5 batches of brine, there never seems to be enough. I also run everything through a food processor. It makes it alot easier to prepare."

Comments (6)

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

The way I would interpret it is that he is using a slicing blade on his food processor to make the slices of peppers and onions. Personally I think I'd use a knife or a mandoline as I like thicker slices. No reason why you couldn't use either rings or long slices - whichever you prefer.

The word "chop" is rhetorical I think and referring back to the "slicing he did with the food processor". But no, it isn't a relish although could easily be made into one if you wanted to. But yes you do remove the seeds I'd say since that is normally the case.

Vinegar can be whichever you prefer. White is a sharp flavor and commonly used in pickling. Cider is a more mellow flavor. I generally prefer cider but in this case I think I'd go with white. JMO

Hope this helps.

Dave

• annie1992
    14 years ago

I just made a batch from a recipe that Carol (Readinglady) sent me. I removed the seeds using a potato peeler, slick as a whistle, I wanted them milder. I then sliced them into rings, packed them with the onions. I used white vinegar and the recipe I used had honey as a sweetener. I haven't tasted them, but Elery will when he gets home this weekend.

Annie

• ksrogers
    14 years ago

Remove seeds and use cider vinegar for a more mellow taste. Before using the prepared brine, TASTE it to see if it suits you and hubby.

• kathy_in_washington
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Annie, did Elery have a chance to try these pickles? What did he think of them? Just curious

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    14 years ago

Sorry I did not see this post earlier. I have been busy.

I use the slicing blade with our food processor. It cuts them into nice slices, if you stack them all in nicely. However, I don't always do that. I have a wide mouth one and I stuff it full and go to town! When they are sliced, I loaded it up again. If you wanted to you could hand slice. However, when you have 20 pounds of Jalapenos, my hands would hurt before I am done!

With the onions, I cut off the ends, peel the outside and quarter. Then run those through the processor too. When it is all done, I dump everything into a 2 gallon ziplock bag and mix it up. Then pack into jars. REMEMBER rubber gloves the whole time!

Also, about deseeding. I don't it adds to the flavor and heat. If you want it milder, you could deseed them. I made a few half and half jars last time. I used Fooled you Jalapenos and Jalapenos. The Fooled you have no heat. This made for an interesting combo. Is it hot or is it not?

Vinegar: I used white vinegar. I guess you could use Apple Cider, but I prefer White.

I also cut the recipe in half when I am low on peppers. It also works.

Good luck. I love these Jalapenos, I need to make a bunch before it freezes. Maybe next weekend.

Jay

• annie1992
    14 years ago

kathy, Elery loved the darned things. Even seeded they were too hot for me, I'm a wuss, but I did nibble one of the onions. It was pretty hot too, in my opinion, but elery and his oldest son just sat down and polished off an entire jar!

Annie