Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dolivo_gw

First time canning tomatoes, did I ruin them?

dolivo
10 years ago

Hi All,
I just used for the first time my new Presto 23 quart pressure canner. I canned 3 pint jars of raw packed tomatoes. they are still cooling off in the canner as I type.
A couple questions:
I had trouble keeping the pressure at 12 lbs, which is what the instruction manual said. It went up to 14, then down to 12, then back up to between 13 and 14. Did this ruin/hurt my cans? I'm sure with practice I will get better, but what about this batch?
The manual said to cook for 25 minutes. But I read on another post that it's 10 minutes. My newly bought ball blue book only gives times for boiling water canning. (unless I'm blind, which is possible)
Did I mess up big time? are my 3 jars ok?
P.S. I just took the lid off and my jars look ok. no leaks that I can tell.

Comments (14)

• dolivo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here they are. Is the liquid and the tomatoes suppose to be seperated like that?

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

Raw packing will have more of that 'water' than hot pack. they look normal to me. It's hard to keep the gauge at a certain level, that's why many people have changed over to weights. You can buy them for the Presto 23 qt, I just did. I found mine at Ace Hardware for about $15.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

So you are over 2000 feet, correct? Raw pack 25 min at 12 lbs. So what processing time did you actually use?

Don't know where you read the 10 min but that isn't correct. The method you use to pack determines the processing times but none of them is only 10 min.

Use NCHFP for proper processing instructions, not your canner manual as they are outdated in many cases. The Ball Blue Book also gives pressure canning times in its instructions EXCEPT for the raw packed in water. Check your index in the book - there are 4 different methods for canning tomatoes. Some allow for raw pack but most use hot pack because you get much better results.

Assuming your jars seal and that you used the PC properly then they will be fine. But you need to review the step-by-step instructions for using a PC over at NCHFP before doing any more because the manual won't include the pre-venting, and current steps to proper cool down.

The pressure regulation - keeping it at the proper reading takes a lot of practice to learn. It is better to let it get too high then to have it bounce back and forth and you never want it to fall below the required reading. That problem is one reason why most are converting their canners away from gauges to weights. It is easy to do and weights are much more accurate than gauges and don't require annual testing as the gauges do.

Dave

• dolivo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Myfamilysfarm and Dave, thanks for your replys :)

Dave, I allowed for 10 minutes of pre-venting then put the weight thing on the vent and when the pressure reached 12 I started the timer and processed for 25 minutes. I am at a little over 3,000 ft altitude.

I have only been learning about pressure canners for a few days and today was first time using one. I don't know anything about the difference between weights and gauges. Where can I learn more about that and how to switch?

This post was edited by dolivo on Wed, Sep 4, 13 at 21:17

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

today was first time using one. I don't know anything about the difference between weights and gauges

Then could I suggest that rather than just jumping in with foods you first take the time to learn about pressure canning and pressure canners and how they work.

Pressure canning isn't like BWB canning, It has a learning curve and takes time and practice and familiarity with the stages of the process before doing it. Otherwise what often happens, as other discussions here show, errors are made and food is either improperly processed and has to be tossed or time and effort are wasted.

Start with the link below from NCHFP. Especially note the 10 min wait between removing the weight and removing the lids. Then take the time to learn the parts and names of the various parts of your particular canner and how they work and what the signs of problems are. Read through the various recipe instructions at NCHFP and determine what pressures you will be using most often at your altitude.

Then do several practice runs using only jars of water in the canner (you can add food color to the water) until you learn exactly how to bring it up to pressure and maintain that pressure by careful adjustments to the heat and prevent siphoning (clear water in the canner and clear water when finished in the canner).

Unlike other brands your canner comes with a gauge and a counterweight. That counter weight needs to be replaced with the 3 piece (5-10-15#) weight set (Part # 50332) that is NOT available from Presto but is available online at amazon and many other sources. There are numerous discussions here about out this and I linked a few.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/harvest/msg0916184818540.html

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/harvest/msg070835471337.html

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/harvest/msg081947018331.html

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/harvest/msg0817160620197.html

If you choose to continue using the gauge then note that it must be tested annually and that it can be off by several pounds.

Most importantly, slow down. We all have to learn to swim before we jump into the deep end. :)

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Using Pressure Canners

• Linda_Lou
    10 years ago

You use 12 lb. unless your gauge is incorrect. Was it tested first ? If not you have no way of knowing if it is even safe to use. All dial gauges need testing yearly and brand new out of the box.

Then, I don't see where you added the required bottled lemon juice or citric acid crystals. Even pressure canned tomatoes must have either one of those forms of acid added to keep them safe from potential botulism.

After processing you are to let the pressure go to zero. Then remove only the counterweight. Do not open the lid. Set the timer for another 10 min. then open the lid and remove the jars. That helps with siphoning, or liquid loss.

Raw pack tomatoes will look like that. I think the best method is the hot packed crushed tomatoes from So Easy To Preserve, also at the Univ. of Georgia website.

Did you use 2 to 3 inches of water in the bottom of the canner ? Some manuals are incorrect and say only 2 or 3 quarts. That is not enough. Fish can take 4 inches of water.

• dolivo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dave, I didn't just "jump right in". In fact I did quite a bit of reading and researching on pressure canning, including reading the NCHFP info. I learned all about the parts of my canner, proper use, and about the 10 minute wait between taking the weight off and taking the lid off, which I applied today.
    The idea of practice runs are a good idea. I must have done ok my first time, though, because the water stayed clear.
    linda_lou, yes I did use lemon juice in my jars.
    I did not see in the instruction manual how to "test" the gauge so you know if it is accurate. If it's not in the instruction manual, how are first time canners suppose to know this step and how to execute it?

Dave, thank you for the links. I will research the weights.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

In fact I did quite a bit of reading and researching on pressure canning, including reading the NCHFP info. I learned all about the parts of my canner, proper use, and about the 10 minute wait between taking the weight off and taking the lid off, which I applied today.

Great! You are off to a good start then. Contact your local county extension office about the gauge testing. If they are doing it anytime soon, great. If not you can get it tested for accuracy at any local machine or hydraulics shop. Once you have the weight set then it is easy to test the gauge yourself.

Dave

• dolivo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ok, turns out when I read the NCHFP info I read about the boiling water canners and missed the pressure canner info. It was on another site that I read about pressure canners and it didn't mention the weights. I just read it, and gave me a lot of good info about the weights.

Thanks Dave for all your help :)

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

It also looks like you might have used a yellow tomato or 2, they will look quite different, but still can the same.

I don't understand why you pressure canned them. tomatoes can be BWB and it's much easier. You can use your pressure canner as BWB, so you don't need both. Many people do.

• dolivo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

no, all the tomatoes where red. They were a combo of amish paste and beefeater.

I pressure canned them, I guess, because like a lot of beginning canners, I'm paranoid of accidently poisoning my family so I wanted to be darn sure I destroyed any bacteria or whatever that might make them sick. I'm sure as I can more and learn more I will become more sure of myself and the process of canning. Plus I wanted to play with my pressure canner.
    I checked the 3 jars this morning and all three sealed nicely so that's good.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Link below is the 3 piece weight set at amazon. It comes in 3 parts and just replaces the counter weight on your canner.

Here is a link that might be useful: Presto part 50332 3 piece weight set

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

First time beginners always have fears. Calm down and go for it again. I would recommend to hot pack them next time. I would also save my Amish Paste for spaghetti sauce and the Beefeaters for the juice or just tomatoes.

Also, get that weight set, it makes things so much easier.

I'm forever having to calm down my beginner canners (family and friends). After awhile, you'll feel like a pro (or almost). Always something new to learn.

• dolivo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Digdirt, thanks for the amazon link! I'm going to order it :)

Myfamiliesfarm, thanks for your encouragement! Is there any way to find a canning type group in my town to learn from in person?

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida