Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathy_in_washington

??s re: Making Peach Jam with remains after Steam Juicing Peaches

Has anyone made jams after steam juicing fruit? If so, I'd love to hear your comments and about your experiences.

I have a Mehu Liisa Steam Juicer (use and love it). I would like to use some ripe peaches to steam for juice, then use the remaining pulp for jam. These are the instructions from their manual; first for the Juice, second for the Jam.

This looks good to me, is something different, and I'm curious if others here have done similar. Also, the instructions don't mention the peach skin, so I guess it gets cooked down and mixed in with the pulp for the jam.

Any comments? Please?

PEACH JUICE

5 lbs fresh ripe peaches, halved and pitted
1 cup sugar

Place peaches in steamer basket. Steam for 1.5 hours or until peaches look "drained" and dry. Drain hot juice into hot canning jars ... (and the usual canning instructions). Makes approx. 2 quarts juice. Use remaining pulp for jam.

GINGER PEACH JAM

Put pulp remaining from making peach juice into blender or run through a food mill. Measure. Should have 5 to 5.5 cups pulp. Mix with 1 piece (about 1 inch cube) grated fresh ginger, 1 Tbl. grated orange peel, 1/3 C. orange juice, 1 Cinnamon stick, and 5 C. sugar. Cook over low heat until mixture reaches 215 degrees F on a thermometer. Pour into sterilized jars ... etc. Makes about 8 half-pint jars of jam.

Here is a link that might be useful: Copy of Mehu Liisa Recipes and instructions in .pdf format