Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Red water after blanching beans......??

Posted by catherinet 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 7, 12 at 19:42

Today I blanched some Roma pole beans and Blue Lake pole beans before freezing them. Later, after the water had cooled, I went to dump it down the sink and here's what I found. Very strange! I've blanched Blue Lakes before, but not Roma poles. I don't think they have brown seeds, do they?
This was very strange to find!
And it wasn't red when I was taking them out of the boiling water to cool them off......
Any ideas??

bean blanching water

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red water after blanching beans......??

Gremlins in the house messing with you??

I can't imagine the water changing color just while sitting. I would be suspicious that someone else came along and rinsed something or ??

Sure is pretty though!
Deanna

o

Are you sure they weren't Romano pole beans? Never heard of a Roma pole bean. But yes, Romano pole beans are brown seeded and that is the most likely cause of your water. Another possible cause is if the beans had a lite case of bean rust disease.

It's another example of why steam blanching works better than water blanching.

Dave

o

Thanks Deanna and Dave.

Whew......the brown seeds makes sense, and yes, I meant Romano pole beans. I've picked them very young, since I'm having trouble with bugs eating the older ones, and I guess the seeds haven't turned brown yet. Should they be brown from the start? If so, maybe they sent me the wrong seeds.
They aren't growing nearly as big (wide) as a bush Roma bean. We were in a really bad drought this year and they just started growing recently.
I would love to give them more time to grow, but the bugs just won't let me.

o

Dave....I never thought about steaming them. Are the times the same?

o

About 1 1/2 again as long time wise. Depends on the vegetable and covered or uncovered.

Dave

o

Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here