Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tucker303

Calling all Expert Jelly Makers!

tucker303
16 years ago

As I mentioned in another post, I want to try a county/state fair next year and enter jelly/jam stuff.

I have gotten the jelly VERY clear and am very impressed.

In reading the guidelines for the Colorado State Fair, you should not have any bubbles.

I tried another batch last week. I had the jars standing there waiting. I poured it thru the funnel with the ladle next to the funnel to avoid "splashing."

But how do you:

1. Skim off the foam

2. Ladle the jelly

Without either a skin forming on the top while you skim...and ladling (sp?) without bubbles? It was warm last weekend (90's) and kitchen was warm tho I was running the swamp cooler. The final product should have no bubbles, no foam on the top...and be clear. I still had a few bubbles and residual foam on the top.

Comments (10)

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

Sometimes a tiny amount of butter or an oil can be added to the jelly while its being poured hot into the jars. This can reduce any traces of foam. Skimming can be done while the jelly is lightly simmering in the pot. Once way to reduce some foam in the jars is to use a narrower funnel, and have it fill up the jars while submerged a couple of inches. This will also reduce any bubbles created while you fill the jars. Then slowly lift teh funnel out of the jars once they are at the proper head space.

• readinglady
    16 years ago

I'd do small batches to get lots of practice.

I've never had a skin form while skimming, so can't speak to that. The only thing I can think of is skim as soon as foam appears while the jelly is still cooking. Try to work fast. Don't let it sit at the end and cool while you skim. (Cooling also leads to bubbles.)

Minimize the distance between pan and jar rim so there's less chance for the jelly to aerate and pour it in quickly. Again, a good pan that's a manageable size you can pour directly from is your best bet. (And a funnel is helpful of course.) Avoid the ladle. Too slow and too much movement down into pan, up again, down to jars.

I have sometimes found a thin layer of bubbles on the very top of the jar at the end. I skim that off by hand with a spoon, just as I did in the pan.

So to sum up, don't let jelly cool, get it into the jars fast and keep the distance from pan to jar rim at the minimum.

I hope this helps.

Carol

• carmellia
    16 years ago

Is this apple jelly you are talking about? I had never been bothered with a skin forming on top of the jelly until this last batch. I was the first time I ever made apple jelly, relying on the apple peels instead of Sur-Jel for pectin. Almost as soon as I turned the heat off, it wanted to jell right up. Every ladle-full had a skin over it, and I think that skin made the foam harder to remove. It seemed to set the foam right into the jelly.

It tastes wonderful, but then I'm not entering it in a fair. I does look strange. When I've made other jellies, I put 1/2 teaspoon of butter in to prevent foaming, just like the Sur-Jel directions say. I didn't do that with my apple jelly. I wasn't sure if that would affect the ability of the natural apple pectin to jelly. Next time, I will try it. Carmellia

• readinglady
    16 years ago

I should add that while butter can be added, I've never used it. With care you should be able to avoid bubbles without it.

Carol

• mellyofthesouth
    16 years ago

I had skin form with crabapple (no pectin) jelly. Those crabapples must have had a huge amount of pectin. They started jelling when I added the sugar. I confess I had a few bubbles in the jars. I did scoop the skin off the top with a spoon before putting the lids on.

• melissajeanne
    16 years ago

I am new to canning myself; I am canning raspberries from our yard.

As far as the foam is concerned; when I am done boiling the jelly for 1 minute, I remove it from the burner (mine is electric). I then "putter" for a couple of minutes, then if I place a metal spoon in and slowly go at the foam it sticks completely. I go through a couple of spoons, but remove most of the foam. The last couple of jars get foamy because I am getting low and have to tilt the kettle (what is on the side starts getting caught up. But sometimes if I let it sit 30 seconds, I can even remove it from the jar using a teaspoon).

GOOD BYE CHEESE CLOTH!!!

I haven't been on the forum in a long time and came on to leave this message. I can my raspberry jelly with no seeds, so go through a lot of cheese cloth. This week I realize I didn't have any and my local store was out so I used a substitution that turned out wonderful!

They are called Paint Strainers with Eleastic Edge made by Trimaco. They look like a nylon net shower can, but really tall (to fit a gallon container). They are meant to be used when you pour a gallon of paint into a spray can, to catch dry pieces, etc.

So I tried it. I use a 4 cup measuring cup when making them, so just laddled in 3 scoops, and squeezed and kneading it gently. (I wear laytex gloves to do this). Then when done I turned it inside out an shook it out in my trash can (be sure its empty, you need it deep so seeds don't fly). Enough came out to rinse (inside right so lingering seeds stay in) and repeat.

I used it three times for the batch and then the seam split so slightly I didn't see it until trying to strain the second batch. But then again, I was pushing the issue to see how strong they were. I just did another batch three times and its still strong and clean as a whistle.

Hope this helps someone

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

Instead of jelly bags, I use the Villaware food strainer with a fine holed berry screen that keeps all seeds out of the juice. No hanging the bag on a string, just plain juice when you turn the crank. Great for red and black raspberries

• melissajeanne
    16 years ago

Right! I gave up on hanging jelly bags the first time I canned it two years ago. Since then I used the cheese cloth and laytex gloves and worked it out myself.

• readinglady
    16 years ago

It partly depends on what you're aiming for. A jelly is clear. A seedless jam isn't.

Jelly is the most labor-intensive and wasteful of preserves because all you're using is the juice, no pulp at all. The upside is its beauty and delicacy.

Carol

• tucker303
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and comments.

I also agree Carol...jelly is wasteful. I had made a mental note to squeeze the excess for all the juice to make a separate batch. I hate wasting.

Carmellia - it was strawberry jelly. Sure looks pretty!

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler