Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dill Seed vs. Dill Weed

Posted by kriswrite zone 8 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 21, 11 at 20:03

I sent my husband to the store today to pick up a few things for canning pickled green beans. My recipe (in the new Ball book) calls for dill seed and that's what I've always used. But my hubby brought home dill WEED.

Can I use the dill weed? If so, will it change the flavor much?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dill Seed vs. Dill Weed

You can yes but it is a different measurement and will give a very different appearance since the weed floats and clings to everything and it will change the flavor. The best results would be to get the seed.

Dave

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 22, 11 at 11:39

And, the seed has more/stronger flavor than the weed, would mean adjusting the amount. While I like the weed for flavoring dips, salads (potato or pasta), it isn't altogether attractive floating in a liquid.

o

Don't know about the taste but I used dried dill weed for pickles when I didn't have anything else, and yes it floated and was a pain in the butt all around.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here