Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jam or Jelly made from lemon balm?

Posted by jill2761 10 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 26, 12 at 20:17

I'm looking for a recipe (or input) for using lemon balm to make jam or jelly. Prefer a recipe that uses lemon balm as the main ingredient, not just as a flavor addition to something else. Has anyone done this?

Thanks, Jill

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jam or Jelly made from lemon balm?

Here you go. I think there is a wine jelly with LB too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Double lemon marmalade

o

Black Toad Herbals has a posting with a number of options for lemon balm, including jelly. You might take a look.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Ways to Enjoy Lemon Balm

o

Wife made it once but we weren't impressed as I recall. It is a VERY mild jelly and needs a very strong infusion of the LB. She says she used 2x the amount of leaves called for in the recipe and steeped it for much longer too. It still didn't have much flavor. And it needs food coloring added or it looks just like jelled water.

This is the recipe she started with:

Lemon Balm Jelly

1 c. lemon balm
3 c. water
1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
6 1/2 c. sugar
1 bottle liquid pectin
Drops of yellow food coloring

Steep lemon balm in boiled water 10-20 minutes. Strain. Bring infusion and sugar to a rolling boil, add pectin and cook and stir for 1 minute. Remove from heat, add coloring, jar and seal.

Dave

o

Thanks for the feedback. I may just enjoy it for the fragrance in the herb bed and flavor some tea with it. I got busy with other things and now don't have time to deal with it. Interesting website, too! Jill

o

Lemon verbena makes a much nicer flavored jelly; I think it has a cleaner lemon scent & taste than balm. I always felt that lemon balm had more of a "soapy" scent and flavor, kinda like citronella--which is why it is often sold as an insect-repelling plant. I sometimes have crushed a handful or two of leaves and rubbed them on my skin to keep the mosquitoes at bay. I think it helps some.

o

Thanks weedlady. I'll look into the lemon verbena. I don't have any in my herb beds right now. I'll also try the lemon balm for mosquito protection. I never seem to remember to try it even when I'm standing right by the lemon balm and being eaten alive by skeeters.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here