Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using split tomatoes in Annie's Salsa (or other long-cooked recip

Posted by ajsmama (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 10, 11 at 20:17

I have so many tomatoes that split b/c of all the rain. Got them in my fridge now b/c of the fruit flies. I was going to peel them, would it be OK to can Annie's Salsa or one of Ellie Topp's sauces using them? Or best to refrigerate/freeze anything made with them and use leftover unsplit ones for canning (not selling many lately)?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using split tomatoes in Annie's Salsa (or other long-cooked r

• Posted by val_s z5 central IL (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 11, 11 at 8:56

I used my split tomatoes to can whatever I was canning. I didn't know there was a concern. After dipping them in boiling water to remove skins, I'd have to cut the split part out but otherwise I used them just like "good" tomatoes.

Is there a reason not to?

Val

o

I was thinking entry point for bacteria. But long-cooking should take care of that. Just wanted to check with the experts. Not using any split ones that touched the ground (vines sagging), though if skin is not split I do wash them off and use those (peeling them anyway).

o

I use them too exactly as you have described.
Washed, split part cut away and in cooked recipes.

Deanna

o

I have always read that perfect produce should be used for all canning. I am really squeamish about using tomatoes with bad spots or splits, so I freeze them instead and then use them in a pasta sauce that gets boiled for hours.

Annie's is only cooked at a boil for 10 minutes. Makes me nervous to use less-than-perfect veggies. But, I am a nervous canner!

I'll be interested to hear what other have to say on this matter.

o

I use them in long cooked or long processed canning such as pressure canned stewed tomatoes or sauce. But I won't use them in things like salsa that has the potential double risk of short processing AND eaten fresh from the jar.

Dave

o

• Posted by val_s z5 central IL (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 11, 11 at 10:35

I'm just thinking out loud here but since I don't live on a farm where I can grow huge amounts of tomatoes so that I can pick out the best ones, I'm kind of stuck using what I do grow.

Some years I wouldn't be able to can anything if I didn't use the split tomatoes. It would be heaven for me if I had enough land that I could grow everything I wanted to :-)

One can only dream - Val

o

Thanks Dave. I was thinking of making salsa b/c I haven't made any this year and have lots of peppers too. But spaghetti sauce it is (I definitely wouldn't raw-pack!). They're small (2oz each or so), I hate to spend the time peeling them but have so many I feel like I can't waste them on compost.

How about roasting? Or putting in the slow cooker and then through the food mill?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here