Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Boiling green beans for 10 mins prior to eating....

Posted by Pepfun1-2 none (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 1, 12 at 20:26

Is it necessary if safe pressure canning practices have been followed? A friend and I were talking about it. Old publications of some books state that it's necessary but no new publications (BBB or NCHFP) do.

~Pep

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Boiling green beans for 10 mins prior to eating....

No, IF the beans were properly canned and processed then it isn't necessary. The provision remains as an additional safety measure because a) green beans are a high risk food, and b) because of the inclination of so many people to can green beans IMproperly.

So when in doubt, cook them well them for 10 minsutes prior to eating.

Dave

o

Can you tell me if that 10 minute recommendation is for sea level or for higher also? I live at about 3000 ft. and always boil them 15 minutes.

o

Likely a good move since water boils at a lower temperature at your altitude.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here