Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shermthewerm

Canning jalapenos

shermthewerm
9 years ago

Experienced gardener, running out of room in freezer, deciding to try her hand at canning. Canned my first batch of jalapeno jelly today, and would like to try canning some pickled jalapenos. I did a quick search here, but didn't find an approved recipe. I'd like to do them whole with skins on if possible. Just looking for the most basic, safe recipe to follow. So many peppers this year...

Comments (11)

• dgkritch
    9 years ago

I've linked to instructions from Oregon State Univ. Extension. Just sub all jalapenos in the recipe for Pickled Hot Peppers.

Deanna

Here is a link that might be useful: OSU Preserving Peppers

• shayneca25
    9 years ago

Jalapenos are fairly easy to can using the BWB method, I will assume you are an experienced canning.
    I have been canning them for years and got this recipe from a USDA approved sight. I have adjusted the ingredients based on the amount of peppers I need to can.

Sterilize Jars in lids by boiling them for 5 minutes
    Place whole peppers in jars
    Add 1/4 pickling salt
    (Optional add a pinch of Alum to preserve the crispness)
    pour hot vinegar leaving 1/2 head space
    release any bubbles, I use a knife and it works fine
    clean jar rims with a wet paper towel
    Add jar lid and ring. Tighten ''Finger tight''

Place jars in boiling water. The water level should be at least 1'' above the jars
    Once the water returns to boiling leave them in there for 12 minutes
    After removing them set them on a towel on a flat surface, and allowed them to cool. They will seal within 30 minutes to one hour after removing them from the water. Jars not sealed should be refrigerated.

Tip. Poke a few holes in the peppers with a knofe to allow liquid into the peppers more easily.
    You can also had a couple of baby carrots to each jar for color and they taste yummy
    This recipe works great if you wish to slice them as well.

Its that easy.

Also, just a recipe tip. Have you ever tried Fried Jalapenos? You would make them the same way as fried okra.

• shermthewerm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Deanna, do you have to peel the jalapenos? I don't mind the tough skin, so if I wash them well, will it still be safe?

Shayne, I've never eaten/grown okra--not too known here in the PNW. But fried peppers sound good. And no, I'm a complete beginner with canning. Starting off with jam/jelly (I think that's probably the safest), wanting to try pickling next thinking it might be the next "safest"?

Thanks!

• shayneca25
    9 years ago

I would recommend going to Ball's website for tips as well as the USDA's You will also need to research when to use a hot water bath and pressure caner. I will post a link below I found on you tube. Its a little lengthy but quite fun to watch.

Here is a link that might be useful: Canning 101

• dgkritch
    9 years ago

I didn't peel my jalapenos. I ended up with a bunch of them (6#) already sliced from an event. NO WAY I was going to try to peel slices!! LOL.

I pickled some (BWB) and canned some "plain" (pressure canned, of course). I used Pickle Crisp in both. We haven't opened any of them yet. I won't touch the pickled ones for a few weeks, but I supposed we could try the canned ones. Just haven't had a meal to eat them with yet.

Wash the peppers well and remove the stems. You can pickle them whole or sliced. If whole, be sure to cut a few slits in them to allow the juices inside.

Deanna

• shermthewerm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, Deanna. 6 pounds, impressive! I'm not sure how many I have, but I have 30 different pepper plants, so I'm sure I'll have a few pounds, and I really wasn't looking forward to peeling them. Don't have a pressure cooker, so I'll have to pickle them. The "plain" ones I just freeze whole. Good tip on the pickle crisp

• lpinkmountain
    9 years ago

I pickle mine by the jar all the time. Can leave seeds and ribs in or not, depending on how hot you want it. I just make up a vinegar solution and add it to however many jars I end up with. Don't peel, the skins soften as you BWB them. Very easy, I can in half pints because that is about one batch of nachos worth. Many approved recipes can be found online. Just look at the brine recipe and either halve it if you have less jars, or double it or whatever. Just do the math and keep the ratios the same!

Here is a link that might be useful: CO State Univ. Extension, Making Pickled Peppers at home

• shermthewerm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, I think I'd like to try the OSU recipe (thanks for the link, Deanna). The recipe calls for 4 lbs hot peppers & 3 lbs sweet peppers. Does it matter if I just use 7 lbs hot peppers, omitting the sweet ones? Also the recipe calls for whole peppers, but would it change anything if I cut them into rings? I really appreciate everyone's help--canning has always been something I've wanted to learn, but I have so many questions.

• malna
    9 years ago

Sure, you can use all hot peppers if you wish. You can cut them into rings if you prefer. They might be a little softer after processing than whole ones would be, but no safety issues.

• shermthewerm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, malna!

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

That video was misleading - he kept calling the pressure canner a pressure cooker, he canned cabbage (? I couldn't find a recipe on NCHFP for that), he mentioned green beans and not dealing with a "jiggler" when discussing the Ball Freshtech canner (though he demonstrated only strawberry jam in it), and they didn't give the recipe for zucchini bread and butter pickles, I couldn't tell if there was already water in the pan when they added the vinegar, but mentioned the recipe called for same amount of onions as zucchini whereas the NCHFP recipe calls for 1/4 of the amount. They also BWBd green tomatoes in water with no acidification (maybe that's OK since green tomatoes are more acidic than ripe ones), for 10 minutes (again I couldn't find a recipe), in the same pot they were doing the zucchini pickles in, just took the tomatoes out 5 minutes earlier. So no 5 minute stand time, plus aren't you risking stopping the boil by taking the lid off long enough to remove the tomatoes?