Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
simsedward

Chili Sauce or Hot sauce

simsedward
10 years ago

HI All-
I've already canned all of the tomatoes I will need for the year and I just picked two bushels of tomatoes today. Looking for another good idea for preserving this harvest and what is still to come.

Does anyone have a good recipe for chili sauce or hot sauce that starts with peeled and cored maters?

Thanks,
ED

Comments (7)

• malna
    10 years ago

Also check the post linked below. I posted my recipe adapting two chili sauces from the Ball Complete Book. We liked it a lot - just finished labeling and storing 48 pints for this winter's pantry. My feet hurt and I'm tired, but I'm happy all those baskets of tomatoes are out of the living room :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Ball Blue Book Chili Sauce

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

Malna - I was going to make Annie's salsa but I have a lot of peppers starting to go wrinkly and limp (so can't pickle them), the chili sauce uses more peppers. Do you think it would be safe to run the peeled tomatoes through a food mill to get rid of the seeds (I didn't scoop them out, just chopped them quickly and heated to keep from separating), then cook the low-acid veggies in the "sauce"? My tomatoes were very seedy (and I had a lot of Black Krims so it wasn't making a very attractive salsa LOL!).

I didn't write down (or misplaced) what ground spices I subbed for your spice bag last year, so I'm starting with Grandma's Chili Sauce (minus the horseradish and mace), adding cumin and reducing the sugar, salt like you did. It made really good sloppy joes!

• malna
    10 years ago

Honestly, I don't see why that wouldn't work. It is a long-cooked sauce (so it's not very chunky anyway) unlike salsas that are only cooked for 10 minutes before processing.

There is a substantial amount of vinegar, too.

I don't know if this would help, but I noticed a note re: quantities listed in one of the Barbecue Sauce recipes in Ball Complete (another sidebar). The recipe called for 20 cups of chopped tomatoes, but you can substitute 16 cups of already-pureed tomatoes.

This post was edited by malna on Sun, Sep 8, 13 at 15:22

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Just to note that chili sauce traditionally includes the tomato seeds. They are part of the texture and appearance. But if you have excess seeds then skimming out many of them is easy to do with pureeing the tomatoes.

But if you want pureed tomato then yeah you will have to reduce the amount used or the density will be skewed.

Dave

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

Thanks, that's what I figured too - since it was a long-cooked sauce, there weren't going to be any chunks left.

Sorry Dave I had typed this, went to make dinner and just came back and hit Submit. I goofed (was checking the Ball Complete book for the original spices) and used the full 2C of vinegar for my half batch. So used 1/3C brown sugar and added another 2C tomato puree. We had a pint with a lb of ground meat for dinner, have 8C left in Pyrex measuring cup in fridge. The "puree" was pretty thin - as you can tell since my half recipe with an additional cup of vinegar and total 10C "puree" (2 additional cups, quickly nuked some paste tomatoes in a big Pyrex measuring cup, drained in a colander and topped with ice to peel them, then milled them into the measuring cup) made 5 pints, and that's with reducing the peppers and onions to less than half of the original recipe (that used 16C tomatoes).

So a half batch should have been 8C peeled tomatoes, 4 bell peppers (app. 5C?), 3 onions (app. 2C), and 1C of vinegar to make 3.5 pints. I used 10C milled tomatoes, 3C peppers, 1 onion (slightly under 2C), and 2C vinegar and got 5 pints. I made sure the big chunks of onions (I roughly chopped them) were used for dinner, the peppers are in smaller pieces. Do you think it's safe to can the 4 pints I have left (after reheating of course)?

I have adjusted the recipe in my Word document for the spices (Malna used a spice bag), I will go off that from now on so I don't get confused with looking at original amounts. And I think I'm going to change the white vinegar to ACV ;-)

Sorry for the hijack.

This post was edited by ajsmama on Sun, Sep 8, 13 at 18:34

• simsedward
    Original Author
    10 years ago

HA HA It's ok AJ's I liked reading about the topic.

Thanks for the tips and recipes everyone. I made 24 pints of chili sauce today. Jars are making that relaxing POP sound on the kitchen counter as I type!