Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
canning applesauce with apples with mold

Posted by lram none (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 28, 11 at 20:43

I just completed canning TONS of applesauce. Then my hubby came home to point out the the apples have mold on the skin. Mold that I didn't scrub off any of the apples I used for applesauce. I just rinsed them, which didn't get the mold off, you have to scrap at them a bit to get the mold off.
The question is, is the applesauce I canned safe? The farmer I got the apples from said the apples are ok to eat, its just from all the rain lately. But will the mold grow in the cans and become harmful over the next year?

Thanks for any resources or answers! We have canned applesauce for the past few years and never hold spots/mold on the apples. I never thought about it before.


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: canning applesauce with apples with mold

So I'm assuming you didn't peel them either? Or run them through a food mill so that at least most of the peel would be separated out? Did you add lemon juice? Were they fresh picked or windfall apples that require acid added to them?

I know we all hate to waste/toss foods but personally I would not bother to keep it. Everytime I opened a jar all I would think about was all that mold now distributed throughout the sauce and you don't even know what type of mold it may have been. Still it is your choice.

I suppose you could cook it well again after opening the jars. That would at least destroy any toxins produced. Or just freeze it.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - Canning Applesauce


 o
RE: canning applesauce with apples with mold

Mold won't kill you - at least in the short term. Studies have shown a correlation (cause not proven) with some forms of cancer.

I agree with Dave that it would be possible to boil it and destroy toxins, but personally I'd grit my teeth and discard it. It's the food variation of garbage in, garbage out. The sauce is only as good as the apples used and it's hard to imagine, at the very least, that the flavor wouldn't be tainted.

I am sorry. I know it's frustrating.

Carol


 o
RE: canning applesauce with apples with mold

Is it mold, or sooty blotch? Since the farmer said they were OK for eating I suspect sooty blotch. Still a fungus, and I wouldn't want to can it, but if you peeled the apples before making the sauce I'd say it's OK since it only affects the skin. If not - well, I guess you'd see the fungus growing in the jars, but I'd throw it away if you didn't peel the apples.


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here