Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rocketjeremy

Canning Storage

rocketjeremy
13 years ago

I've been doing a lot of canning lately and I've been thinking more and more about where I store all my precious new goodies. In the past I've been storing them in a room in my basement (that I'll explain more about in a minute) but I'm not sure if it's optimal or not. I was just wondering if there were any suggestions or thoughts out there to improve my storage room.

To picture my home it's a raised ranch so I have part of the basement whose walls are under ground and those that are not. The front of the house is under ground and there is a room under the concrete front porch. It's in this room that I store all my canning supplies and jars. Moving towards the back there is a laundry room (basically unheated) and then a "finished" basement section that is heated and has the furnace (coal fired) that of course is putting heat out.

I think this room would be optimal because it's all concrete walls, dark, dry, but I don't think it always gets as cool as it should. There is a "vent" in there out to the front lawn and I'm not sure if I"m better to block that in the summer and open it in the winter or not. There is only a cheap wooden door on it. I'm not sure if I should try and insulate the room at all or what I can do to make it more of a "cold room."

If it was up to me I'd bust into the wall and start digging out a full on cellar under the front yard but one step at a time and I have to keep the wife happy!

Comments (8)

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

The front of the house is under ground and there is a room under the concrete front porch.

If I picture it correctly that room sounds ideal - cool, dark, and dry - just like a root cellar. We have a similar "room", it was a crawl space that was later excavated out under the front concrete porch and with a vent added for outside air exchange ti has proven to be ideal.

The laundry room, from your description, would be my next choice because again cool, dark, and dry. Is there room for any shallow shelving in either? The heated finished room with the furnace in it would likely be too warm IMO.

Dave

• rocketjeremy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dave...at least I was thinking right in the fact that the room would be an ideal place! The only thing I can't seem to get perfect yet is the temperature. It's been staying around 70 in there right now which if I"m correct is too high. Would I be better off to have that vent open all the time to help get the room cooler at night? I don't know if it's the fact that the furnace is down there or since it's the front porch it gets some sun that is making it warmer then what I'd want.

I just went down to check it....the entire basement is 69 degrees including my room and it was in the 40's last night. Maybe I should open the vent in there (which is at the top of the room) and maybe cut in a vent at the bottom of the door to help move the air through. Or will that make me too warm in the winter when there is heat in the rest of the basement?

• girlbug2
    13 years ago

For those of us without a basement or airconditioning, 70 degrees sounds fabulous.

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

Maybe I should open the vent in there (which is at the top of the room) and maybe cut in a vent at the bottom of the door to help move the air through.

Is it venting to the outside or to the basement inside? Needs outside air cross venting to be ideal if that is possible. In the winter you want the cooler outside air coming in and in the summer the hotter air moving out with the cross venting.

Dave

• rocketjeremy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dave...thanks as always for your thoughtful responses. The vent is to the outside. I tried opening the vent to the outside and keeping the door propped open to the laundry room to see how much of a cross ventilation I get and what the thermostat looks like tomorrow after it cools down outside. If it seems to drop the temp maybe I'll cut a vent into the bottom of the door to try and get some cross ventilation going to drop the temp.

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

Glad to help. Let me know it works. If needed you can always put a small fan in front of one of the vents to pull more in or exhaust more out if needed. Those small exhaust fans they sell for installing in bathrooms work ok but are noisy. A small muffin fan is much quieter.

Dave

• tracydr
    13 years ago

I have no place cool. In fact, I really have hardly any space, period. My storage spaces tend to be the hottest places in the house. My house can be as warm as 80-84 in summer near the thermostats, warmer in warmer areas.
    That's barring AC failure which happens almost once a year, always on the hottest day. What I wouldn't give for a cold climate and a storm cellar!

• bejay9_10
    13 years ago

Some years ago, we divided a bedroom to make half pantry, half new bathroom, with a connecting door between them. They are on the north side of the house. A dual window fan installed into the bathroom - not only exhausts damp air out of the bathroom, but can also bring cool air in, and helps to control the pantry temperatures.

I use the pantry to ferment sauerkraut and wine, cool canned goods, etc., and this air circulation system works well.

The pantry is also used to grow seedlings under fluorescent lights installed under the pantry shelves, but they are semi-enclosed - and do not affect air temps that much.

This works quite well - and even on hottest days - the dual air fans keep temps at acceptable levels.

Love that pantry.

Bejay

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County