Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canning ?- lids?

Posted by nancyjane_gardener USDA 8ish No CA (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 29, 12 at 20:51

Just got back from the place my DH does pumpkin carving. The neighbors sell home made pickles there, and have been canning for 40 years or more!
The last couple of years she has been getting tops that bulge on the top. She insists that they are still sealed, but, of course won't sell the ones with a bulging cap.
Are these defective tops? Should she contact the manufacturer, or does this just happen from time to time?
Your thoughts??? Nancy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canning ?- lids?

I wouldn't touch them.

Not sure who the "manufacturer" might be other than Ball or Kerr. That said, I've never had a bulging top and I make quite a few pickles.

Pickles are generally pretty safe provided they were processed properly and an approved recipe used. But, the bulging tops to me say they may have issues. Better safe than sorry.

JMO,
Deanna

o

I don't know how she's been processing pickles for the past 40 years, but cucumbers are loaded with mold spores and bacteria, so it may be that her luck just ran out.

A bulging lid is a classic sign of spoilage. While a lid may occasionally crinkle if the ring is applied too tightly, bulging is a powerful indication the product has gone bad. It's not a manufacturer issue.

Whatever's working in the jar will continue until the pressure reaches a point where the seal does break, so if the seal is still good, it just means it's early days yet.

Carol

o

It might have been crinkled as you said, but I'll print this out for her. Thank you. Nancy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here