Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pear Butter-Do I really need to peel pears?

Posted by maregardens none (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 26, 11 at 20:59

Most recipes I've looked at say to peel and core pears before cooking. I was I was hoping I could just cut them up and cook until soft, then run them through a food mill to remove skins and cores. Is there really any reason I can't do it this way? I realize I'll have to cook them down more after milling them. Thanks for the help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pear Butter-Do I really need to peel pears?

If you skim through the many "have to peel?" discussions here you'll find it is strongly recommended because (1) they can impart some bitterness, and (2) the peels are the primary source of bacteria and mold contaminants so can affect the end quality, flavor, and shelf life. Thus the recipe recommendations.

Some choose to ignore that recommendation so basically it is your choice. Personally I feel shortcuts compromise quality so I peel. If I am going to put all the work and time and effort into making it, why compromise its quality from the start?

Dave

o
RE: Pear Butter-Do I really need to peel pears?

I just made a bunch of pear-applesauce. I quartered my pears (and apples) and cored them, but left the peels on. Cooked until soft. Then sent them thru my food mill. I have a manual food strainer - a sieve with a wooden pestle - and I just find that it relatively easy to strain out peels but a bit harder if the cores are still mixed in.

I do wash my fruit before using.

I have not noticed any bitterness from my peels. Also, I end up simmering my applesauce for a couple hours, so I am assuming that I'm killing off any mold or bacteria during the simmering process.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here