Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seaglassgirl_gw

Linda-Lou's Pickle Recipe

seaglassgirl
14 years ago

Hi - I've looked and looked for Linda Lou's dill pickle recipe - the one that you put the pickles in a salt and water solution overnite and I just can't find it. This is a very good recipe and I really want to start it tonite. Can anyone help?

seaglassgirl

Comments (8)

• murrays
    14 years ago

Linda Lou's Pickle Recipe :
    copied & pasted from here : http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/harvest/msg0718273429658.html?150

Kosher Dill (Heinz Recipe)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    4 lbs pickling cukes
    14 cloves garlic, peeled & split
    1/4 cup canning salt
    3 cups distilled or apple cider vinegar, 5 % acidity
    3 cups water
    12-14 sprigs fresh dill weed
    28 peppercorns
    Wash cucumbers; cut in half lengthwise. Combine garlic and next 3 ingredients; heat to boiling. Remove garlic and place 4 halves into each clean jar, then pack cucumbers, adding 2 sprigs of dill and 4 peppercorns. Pour hot vinegar solution over cucumbers to within 1/2 inch of top. Immediately adjust covers as jar manufacturer directs. Process 10 minutes in BWB. Makes 6-7 pints.
    Banana Jam
    Prep Time: 45 min
    Total Time: 2 hr min
    Makes: about 8 (1-cup) jars.

4 cups prepared fruit (about 11 fully ripe medium bananas)
    1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
    1 tsp. EVER-FRESH Fruit Protector (optional)
    1 box SURE.JELL Fruit Pectin
    1/2 tsp. butter or margarine (optional)
    6 cups sugar, measured into separate bowl
    BRING boiling-water canner, half-full with water, to simmer. Wash jars and screw bands in hot, soapy water; rinse with warm water. Pour boiling water over flat lids in saucepan off the heat. Let stand in hot water until ready to use. Drain well before filling.
    MASH bananas thoroughly. Measure exactly 4 cups prepared fruit into 6- or 8-quart saucepot. Stir lemon juice and fruit protector into prepared fruit in saucepot.
    STIR pectin into fruit in saucepot. Add butter to reduce foaming, if desired. Bring mixture to full rolling boil (a boil that doesn't stop bubbling when stirred) on high heat, stirring constantly.
    STIR in all sugar quickly. Return to full rolling boil and boil exactly 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim off any foam with metal spoon.
    LADLE quickly into prepared jars, filling to within 1/8 inch of tops. Wipe jar rims and threads. Cover with two-piece lids. Screw bands tightly. Place jars on elevated rack in canner. Lower rack into canner. Water must cover jars by 1 to 2 inches; add boiling water if needed. Cover; bring water to gentle boil. Process 5 minutes. Remove jars and place upright on a towel to cool completely. After jars cool, check seals by pressing middle of lid with finger. (If lid springs back, lid is not sealed and refrigeration is necessary.)
    I skip the sterilizing of the jars and use clean jars, and process 10 min.

• Linda_Lou
    14 years ago

I think you want the Clausen type recipe.
    Fermented Dill Pickles Clausen type:

1 Gallon Jar
    Pickling Cucumbers
    12 Fresh Dill Flower heads, or
    2 Tbsp Dried dill weed and
    2 Tbsp. Dried dill seed
    10 to 12 Cloves Garlic
    6 to 8 Peppercorns
    1/4 Cup Vinegar
    1/2 Cup Salt
    1 1/2 Quarts Water

In 1 gallon jar add pickling cucumbers Rinse but do not wash the cucumbers. Add Dill flower heads or dried dill weed and seed, garlic, peppercorns, and vinegar. Dissolve salt in water and add to jar. Fill jar the remaining way with water. Add weight to keep cucumbers under brine.

Fermentation sequence
    1. Clear brine  no cloudiness for 1 to 3 days
    2. Cloudy brine with gas formation, 2-3 days
    3. Cloudy brine  no gas formation, 5 to 6 days

Pickles ready to eat after 10-11 days.
    Refrigerate pickles if you do not want to process them.

To process the pickles
    Fill clean, sterilized quart jars with pickles to within 1/2inch of the top. Wipe, seal, and process in a hot water bath for 15 minutes. Remove and place on towel in a draft free area. Let jars stand for 12 hours. Label and date. Store in a dark, cool area.

• seaglassgirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks so much both of you. These recipes were just what I wanted. Now I can start right away. Well - in the morning!!
    seaglassgirl

• ksrogers
    14 years ago

I bet the original post for the recipes has scrolled off due to an unusually high amount of redundent new posts.

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Ken, even if it has scrolled off, it should be found with the "search" function. If the "search" function actually ever worked....

Annie

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

No both these recipes are still here. I found them last night using 'dill pickle' in the search. But I didn't think either was the one that was wanted since "overnight soak" was called for and neither of these recipes call for that step.

The one most associated with Linda Lou is the Sweet Pickle Chucks, not any dilled recipe. ')

Honestly Annie, all in all the search here works pretty well but using it easily does take some practice.

Dave

• dgkritch
    14 years ago

I did the same thing as Dave, but didn't think they were the right ones either!

Deanna

• ksrogers
    14 years ago

Once its scrolled off, the search will never find it as its deleted. The search is only 'reindexed' about once a day in the middle of the night and because the original post was deleted (or as you say scrolled off) its gone forever and is not recoverable anymore. Ever see posts that have dates older than about 2004? Unless the thread had newer posts aded to it later on, the dates of the last post on a thread governs its position and once its not added to with more replies, it simply gets 'purged'.