Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zesty Peach Barbecue Sauce

Posted by Food_Lover none (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 2, 12 at 21:08

Hello Folks, I would like to try the recipe below. I know that some ingredients are for flavor, density, and pH. I was wondering if someone could let me know which ingredients could be modified and which cannot. My main concern are the following two ingredients because I do not have them:
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons hot pepper flakes
What, if anything, can I substitute for these? I do have ground cayenne, but how much would give a comparable flavor? Another question I have is whether all the honey is necessary? There are many peaches, so it should be pretty sweet already. Can I reduce the amount of honey (or subsistute another ingredient) or does it need to stay the same?

Also, is there a good BBQ or other tasty sauce canning recipe that includes tomatoes that someone could share?

Zesty Peach Barbecue Sauce
Recipe Source: Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving
Yield: 8 half pints

6 cups finely chopped, pitted, peeled peaches
1 cup finely chopped, seeded red bell pepper
3 cup finely chopped onion
3 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
1 � cups liquid honey
� cup cider vinegar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons hot pepper flakes
2 teaspoons dry mustard
2 teaspoons canning salt

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zesty Peach Barbecue Sauce

You can sub out the dried peppers, just start with 1 tea taste then add from there. As for the W sauce; leave it out and can on.. will not loose much from of the original recipe but canning with what you have will be yummy, too.

I am canning up the same recipe today but I'm using Nectarines and Apricots.

o
RE: Zesty Peach Barbecue Sauce

As a general guide it is best to just not make recipes that you don't have the ingredients for as the results will vary greatly and it usually ends up being a waste of food and time. But it is your choice.

In this case the W-sauce and pepper flakes are just flavoring ingredients and can be left out or reduced. No sub for the W-sauce as it is a unique flavor but you can sub some cayenne pepper if you wish - amt. is just "to taste" but go easy as it will get stronger while stored.

The honey can be reduced but there is no way to know how doing so (plus the other changes) will affect the flavor. With all the changes it isn't going to taste like a Bar B Q sauce IMO. More like a peach glaze sauce.

Check out the NCHFP Bar B Q sauce recipe.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP tomato recipes

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here