Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dgabler

New - Bad lids

dgabler
10 years ago

Been buying a bunch of new Jars this year. The last 5 flats of jars Quart and Pint have had severe grooves in the 'new' lids. So deep I have been pitching the lids and using new-never-touched-a-jar lids. Seems rather wasteful. I really dont want to have these things fail to seal. Is anyone else noticing problems? Location: Central Coast of California, Brands Ball and Kerr (Yeah I know same company)

Comments (15)

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

Many discussions on these - it's been a problem since they started shrink-wrapping the cases with lids and bands on the jars instead of the cardboard boxes with lids and bands packaged separately.

Have you tried soaking them in hot water? I haven't had too many seal failures, they soften right up. I think there's more of a problem with the rings getting dinged up in the new packaging.

But I don't usually use brand-new jars for acidified foods, just jelly (I sell it,so go through a lot of 8oz jars - people don't return them for refund). I end up buying new lids for pints and quarts of pickles, etc. I make for our own use, reusing old jars.

• dgabler
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you. For some reason they did not come up in my previous searching. Interestingly I have had multiple packages where the grooves did not appear as if they had already been used. Bummer they are providing an poor product. Sure it looks nice on the shelf but stinks for the consumer. Anyhow thank you for your input.

• rosegarden3
    10 years ago

Last year I bought 2 new cases with new "bad" lids. I emailed the company telling them of the problem and received 2 coupons for new box of just lids for free! When I received the coupons it dawned on me that if they have these coupons conveniently at the ready...they must know there is a problem. I will post the link to email them. I hope it works, if not it is http://www.freshpreserving.com/contact-us.aspx

Here is a link that might be useful: ball canning email

• Seasyde
    10 years ago

Are you talking about the sealant on the inner side of the lid? If so, I've noticed that this year. ('m in Pacific NW btw). I bought quite a few new jars this year (as it happens they were all Ball). I swear as I was driving away from the store I heard one of the lids ping! Thought I was hearing things - canning on my mind! I didn't think much of it at the time, but when I opened the cases I had to really peel the lids off the jars. I've been using those lids and haven't had a single seal failure yet, fortunately. Still wish they'd go back to packing them in proper boxes though.

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

I notified them a couple of years ago and I wish they'd sent coupons for free lids but they sent ones for 1 dozen free lids when you buy 2 cases of jars. I did eventually use those coupons, but I buy a LOT of lids. Didn't get a chance to check out TSC's Labor Day sale this weekend, but maybe grocery stores will have them on sale soon. Best price I can find is $1.78/doz (RM) at Walmart.

And yes, I've heard the lids ping in the car when driving up a hill - my kids were going "What's that? That sounds familiar..." LOL

Just wash and soak more lids than you need for each batch (so you will need to buy extra), check the sealant before applying to the hot jar to make sure all the grooves are gone. Save the "groovy" lids for another batch (they should smooth out with enough soaking in hot water) or for things like jams and jellies. Also be sure to store canned goods without the rings, and check your stock occasionally for any failed seals.

• gardenmom
    10 years ago

I've had the same problem. I contacted Ball a few years ago and they replied the lids were OK to use, the grooves would come out when heated. i did use them with no failures. Ball also sent me free coupons for replacement lids (3 packages).
    If you write, just be nice in your comments. Say something like how much you like using Ball or Kerr lids and that's all you've used for xx years, you're just concerned about these because of the grooves, etc. They are more apt to send coupons if you are nce about it.

• kai615
    10 years ago

seasyde you are not crazy. I was driving away from the store in my hot car and listened to almost all the 3 dozen jars ping on my 20 minute drive home.

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    10 years ago

Mine pinged last night while on the conveyor at the grocery store! Yikes!! You betcha I'll be double-checking before I start my weekend canning session. Good thread, dgabler - glad you brought this up or I'd have thought I was going nuts!
    Edie

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    10 years ago

I bought a case of jars yesterday and heard two of them ping while on my way home.

Rodney

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

FWIW, I just ordered jars along with a new PC from Walmart.com and they came packed in a very heavy cardboard box with dividers, wish they all came this way, the rings were barely screwed on so no grooves in the sealant. Somehow one outer row still managed to get dinged rings, but I don't care, I'll use others for processing and put these on for sale. I don't know if they sell just jars online (or in stores only), and if they'd come packaged this way, but thought I'd mention that Ball/Jarden is still packaging some jars nicely.

• gin_gin
    10 years ago

I've only been canning for a couple of years, so I've only bought the shrink wrapped (Ball) jars. All of my new ones have had that groove in the seal, and I've not had a single jar fail to seal.

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

gin-gin, I think they were talking about ridges, versus the normal groove. I haven't had any problems with Ball or Kerr lids, just the WM mainstay lids.

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

OP said the problems were with Ball and Kerr lids.

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

I haven't had any of those problems, only problems were with WM lids. Sorry if I wrote it confusingly.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Have done 4 cases of new Ball quart shrink wrapped jars in the past week. All the lids had grooves in the seals when opened but after heating them in the pan of hot water the grooves all but disappeared. Every single jar sealed fine after processing.

Had to buy Ball jars as the store is sold out of Golden harvest jars.

Dave

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting