Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Is this recipe safe?

2ajsmama
11 years ago

Is this recipe safe with the olive oil (2 Tbsp per quart?!) since it's pressure canned?

Says it follows USDA guidelines...

Here is a link that might be useful: Mario Batali canned tomatoes

Comments (5)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

I'd be comfortable with it with a couple of changes.

It meets the guidelines for the PC processing time for tomatoes canned in juice and the crushed tomatoes so the passada (tomato sauce) wouldn't be a problem unless it was overly thick. I'd use my own sauce rather than a commercial one but it is your choice. And it includes the lemon juice/citric acid.

However, it has the same processing time for NCHFP's spaghetti sauce without meat which also includes the oil but that is hot packed and these are raw packed so personally I'd do a hot pack of the tomatoes instead.

My only other concern would be the fresh basil. Sounds like a lot of it to me.

But then the real question is what's the advantage of using it vs. the NCHFP whole/halved tomatoes in juice with some dried basil and no oil? Same result just no fancy chef's name attached.

Dave

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks - I wasn't planning on making it, someone else made it, was telling me and my reaction was that the olive oil wasn't safe, I knew there were a few tested recipes but assumed this hadn't been (didn't even know it was a canning recipe, assumed it was cooking recipe). I did go to NCHFP to compare processing times after googling the recipe. Of course, I have no idea if she actually PC'd the tomatoes, and if she did whether she has weight set or tested gauge - her DH just said they'd been making this for years and - you guessed it - "we're still alive".

The passata should be better than canning in water (as you said, if not too thick), and maybe since the oil is just poured on top and not mixed in...

I just told them to enjoy it.

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

I sure hope she pressure canned it. I'd find out it you having dinner at her house anytime soon? :)

But I agree with you on the oil. It serves no real purpose and adds some concern to the recipe along with the raw vs. the hot packing..

Dave

• readinglady
    11 years ago

It's 1 1/2 leaves of basil per quart, so that's not much.

My problem with the recipe is I think it's wasted energy, mine and the utilities to process. If you're using a commercial passata (puree) then that's already processed and I'd just as soon leave it in the jar. Plum tomatoes can be frozen and easily tossed in with some basil (also easy to freeze for a fresh flavor), a tablespoon of EVOO and the tomato puree (homemade or commercial) at dinner time. Takes about 5 minutes to assemble (after thawing) and is a whole lot less trouble during canning season.

I'd invest my time and energy in the passata, which is much more versatile and simple to process.

Right now I'm taking my excess cherry tomatoes (yellow and red) and roasting slow (200F) in the oven with a drizzle of olive oil, some slivered garlic and some thyme then tossing that confit in the freezer in cup portions. It would be awfully simple to stir that into some tomato puree if I wanted to or just use on bruschetta or pasta as-is. Easy-peasy and I can focus on canning other stuff.

Carol

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    11 years ago

After seeing the look of horror on my face when she said "olive oil" I doubt they'll invite me to dinner LOL.

Yes, 1.5 leaves doesn't seem like much, but laid on top of oil (or oil poured on top of it!) seems like it could be introducing a problem without any benefit - like you said, might as well can the NCHFP recipe and then add seasonings and oil upon opening, makes it more versatile and safer.

I'm still trying to catch up with all the grape juice in my fridge - made my first batch of jelly for the season yesterday, have 2 more to go (and that's without mixing in apple juice/pectin, since our apples never blossomed this year).

I do have to go through all the ripe cherry tomatoes on my counter, pick out the good ones and freeze - I like Carol's idea! Been roasting the beefsteaks but they're just too juicy, been taking more than 15 hrs at 170. Did get some slices dehydrated to try on sandwiches this winter, also put some roasted zuke-tomato-garlic mixture in freezer, have 4 more big zukes and some eggplant so I guess I'll be freezing that mixture too since I am running out of room in my fridge and DS is on a canoe trip tonight.